Breadcrumbs

9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication

More
26 May 2023 02:12 #7 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
PS
Kevin, technically, you are correct, however, IAs are permitted to accept "minor" changes. "In the interest of safety" , etc. 2C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2023 02:02 #8 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
Someone should talk to Vern - he, IIRC, also sells some Alpha STCs. Please don't expect him to just provide materials at cost - he's due a fair price for holding stock for us and providing such excellent service - you won't find better guys than Vern and Don McDonald ( Alpha)!!

More
25 May 2023 20:57 #9 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
Don’t know. Someone who needs one would need to call but they won’t want to do just one.

Kevin

More
25 May 2023 15:51 #10 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
That is all well and good but at what cost? I have the STC for one in one of my projects, but it was sold out of it. I would be interested if the cost is right...

More
25 May 2023 08:18 #11 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
I too believe in supporting Alpha Aviation but if the parts are not fabricated as per the STC drawings then the STC is not valid. He stopped making the kits because he wanted to retire and did not have anyone to make them. I talked to Safe Skies about this a few months ago. They have the tooling and the skills to make them but when they owned Skyport they were only selling about one kit a year so we’re not interested in making kits one at a time. They can make about 5 kits at a time so if someone wanted to get an order of 5 together you might talk them into a run.

Kevin

More
13 Feb 2023 20:39 #12 by Chris Longfellow
Replied by Chris Longfellow on topic 9CF Baggage Compartment --parts fabrication
Here are a couple pics of the final install.  I've added a few non-std items;
  1) the rear bulkhead is 1-piece   2) sheet metal doublers added for master switch and battery charging port (both on Right side panel)    3) headset jacks    4) towbar clamps behind seat    6) fire extinguisher mount on floor   7) strips on aft bulkhead and fwd wall with holes to clip in the cargo net.      
Overall very pleased with the installation, the side panels are a challenge to form and fit, but everything else was pretty easy.  For the Alpha STC be aware that you only need a little 1/2" marine ply (to fill the channels in the formers), and not a full sheet.  The Alpha hardware kit ($50 for all nuts / rivets, etc) was a nice touch... ensured we had all the right bits for the install.     
When I have time I will put this all together in a reference file for anyone installing the STC.  Finally I would add that I believe in paying AlphaAviation the $299 for the STC and plans ... it is the 'right' thing to do in my opinion.  They have invested in purchasing the STC and supporting the Ercoupe community (in addition to being a small town family run company) -just my two cents.   
if anyone has questions let me know

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds