Breadcrumbs

Fuel tanks

More
01 Jul 2020 17:20 #7 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel tanks
This is just about the nastiest job on an Ercoupe. I’ve had it done twice. Your description is spot on. No easy way, no shortcuts, and you get to work upside down. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clay McCutchan
01 Jul 2020 16:42 #8 by Clay McCutchan
Replied by Clay McCutchan on topic Fuel tanks
Matt,

Thanks much, great info, drained the fuel today from the header tank, will move it to another hanger for the repair. Bob Kaba, my IA and local FAA examiner for new A&P's is into the Ercoupe books already on the repair but any advice for him and me is most welcome.
Clay

More
01 Jul 2020 15:00 #9 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Fuel tanks
Drilling the top panel off is easy, but how are you planning on riveting back in place ?you would need the header tank out of the way to allow you to buck the rivets, Only way is out the bottom.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
30 Jun 2020 14:25 #10 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Fuel tanks
I have been looking at my 415-C with the prospect of removing the tank. It isn't leaking, but removal would facilitate riveting in the stainless sheet over the top. It doesn't look like a small job. I would have to:
Remove the control column, which requires disconnecting the yokes at the u-joints, removal of the floor boards to access the base swivel bolts, and maybe any large instruments or radios installed along the bottom of the instrument panel to get clearance.
Remove any control cables that are in the way, throttle, mixture, and carb heat in my case.
Disconnect the fuel tank supply line from the pump, the return line, and the supply to the carb, and get them moved out of the way.
Loosen the two turn buckles on the straps that hold the tank in place, then drop the tank down and pull it out.
I am thinking I could get it out in one long day. 2 days to put it all back.

For those that have actually done this, am I missing anything? Would it be easier to remove the top panel and pull it out that way?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clay McCutchan

More
29 Jun 2020 17:58 #11 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Fuel tanks
you have all ready started by figuring it is coming from the header, next thing is to figure out where, but the only way to find that out is to take the tank out, it could be coming from a corrosion pit, a bad rivet, a worn spot. any of those would require pulling the tank to fix.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clay McCutchan

• Clay McCutchan
29 Jun 2020 17:25 #12 by Clay McCutchan
Replied by Clay McCutchan on topic Fuel tanks
My Ercoupe N91N has a header tank leak, light fuel drips in the cockpit in flight, wet fuel on the tank on the ground etc. I have grounded the plane until we can fix it. Please give me any and all advice on how to fix. I have a great IA mech in Mr. Bob Kaba who has been doing most of my Coupe restoration. We just need advice and recommendations on where to start and what to do.

Yours,

Clay T. McCutchan
McCutchan Airport 8FL6
11175 Highway 90
Milton, FL 32583

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds