Breadcrumbs

Nose tire pressure and shimmy.

More
29 Jul 2021 16:08 - 30 Jul 2021 10:40 #7 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
If you look in the operating book and also on the nose wheel rim the tire pressure is 17lbs. I put a new nose wheel on and the correct tire pressure and things got better. My IA also suggested putting 2 new AN bolts in the the upper and lower ends of the nose wheel nutcracker assembly, it seems they can wear and wallow out the holes or the shanks of the bolts. Haven't done yet, just got back from EOC convention in Wausau, a really good time and OSHKOSH too, Bugged out when they predicted bad storms. As for the shimmy when it happens I move the elevator control yoke back and forth and find a happy spot.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2021 10:40 by Michael Hainen. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Farrell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2021 15:01 #8 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
Holy cow! I run 18 pounds in my nosewheel and 20 in the mains. That must feel like landing on rocks! Let some air out! Mine shimmies above 18.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Farrell

More
24 Jul 2021 14:49 #9 by John Farrell
Nose tire pressure and shimmy. was created by John Farrell
After 16 hours and 25 or so landings in my '48 Ercoupe 415E with C-85 engine I've noticed a difference after touchdown (around 65-70mph) maybe a little slower depending on wind, there is rarely a nose wheel shimmy while slowing down before exiting the active.  Several weeks ago my mechanic put 40psi in the nose tire.  I questioned him at the time that I had read the nose tire should have 30lbs.  Several landings after putting 40 lbs in the nose tire I was getting a shimmy after touchdown, especially when breaking a little after nose wheel touched the ground.  Lately, the tire has lost a little pressure after a couple of months and I've noticed there is no shimmy, even landing a little fast 70-75.  Does nose tire pressure make a difference in causing shimmy?  I believe the tires are 600 ply.  Not sure!  

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds