Breadcrumbs

Nose tire pressure and shimmy.

More
07 Apr 2022 16:33 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
You all talk about the bolts but not the bushings that are more wearing than the steel bolt...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2022 20:14 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
I am of the opinion that if you are using the steering linkage and nutcracker to dampen shimmy, you will be constantly wearing out the nutcracker bolts and steering link bearing. See if you can find the cause of the shimmy: tire out of round, tire out of balance, loose bearings, others can probably offer other reasons.

More
03 Apr 2022 21:55 #3 by Chris Howard
Replied by Chris Howard on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
Hey everyone,
I am fighting a nose wheel shimmy right now.  A few years ago I replaced the nutcracker bolts and all has been good until recently.  I maintain 17psi but, recently the shimmy has been fairly violent.  I went through the steering components and I have two spots with play in them.  A little bit in the yoke but, it seems very minimal.  The second area is where the two steering collars meet.  My assumption is there should be no play at those two collars but, I wanted to confirm that before tightening.  Anyone know?  Next step was to take the tire off and send it in for dynamic balancing.
Attachments:

More
05 Aug 2021 18:44 #4 by John Farrell
Replied by John Farrell on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
Yeah, Cessna 150's were/are notorious for nose wheel shimmy. Probably caused by new pilots landing too fast, like I was prone to do 43 years ago. . .and still do occasionally! Flew today after letting air out of the nose tire to 20lbs. No shimmy. Maybe winds helped slow my ground speed; variable at 8 knots.

• Chris Goes Flying
03 Aug 2021 22:37 #5 by Chris Goes Flying
Replied by Chris Goes Flying on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
Happened to me once. I didn't change the tire pressure, did anything different during my landing or anything. Had 20+ landings prior to that shimmy and then, one night, there was that shimmy. My mechanic looked everything over and found nothing. After that shimmy landing, I did another, I don't know, 20+ landings with no shimmy.

Funnily enough, when I rent a Cessna 150 occasionally, it pretty much get a shimmy every single landing unless I make it a soft field landing and keep the elevators up until I almost get to a stop.

More
29 Jul 2021 16:38 #6 by John Farrell
Replied by John Farrell on topic Nose tire pressure and shimmy.
Thanks for that info, Michael. My coupe goes in for its annual next month will make sure to check those AN bolts on the nutcracker assembly! I too try to find that "sweet spot" with the elevator if the shimmy happens.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds