Breadcrumbs

4 point restraints

More
11 Aug 2023 10:50 #7 by Ken Ballenger
Replied by Ken Ballenger on topic 4 point restraints
Thanks for the feedback. Both you and Larry mentioned 337. I'm assuming that's an FAA designation for modifications on our planes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2023 10:48 #8 by Ken Ballenger
Replied by Ken Ballenger on topic 4 point restraints
Thanks Larry. I did check with Alpha Aviation and their price is $1450 for a pair of 3-point restraints with the STC. OUCH!

More
10 Aug 2023 21:57 #9 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic 4 point restraints
I've just run into this issue with my local feds. I asked for a pre-approval for a 337 using several previous 337s as acceptable data and an engineering document explaining how to connect with fuselage frames F and G using small baking plates on the frames and a 1/4" threaded rod to connect them and hold the clevis for the shoulder harness. Unfortunately that engineering document stated it was only for a specific airframe and even though other 337s were approved using it my fsdo won't, saying I have to re-invent the wheel with my own DER or get specific approval from the original engineer. Unfortunately he passed away in 2005 . There is a policy statement ACE-00-23.561.01 that confirms what your mechanic says. IF there is no change in the structure such as welding or drilling to the airframe, which would be a "major alteration" requiring either a field approval or STC the it would be considered a minor alteration and just require a log entry. I'm currently working on a clamping scheme that will essentially duplicate the method described in the above engineering report. using frames F and G with connecting 1/4" rod. The Alpha STC is another option of course but it's for a three point, not the four point which I prefer.

More
09 Aug 2023 20:32 #10 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 4 point restraints
There is an approved 337 on this web site for one. I think Alpha Aviation has kits and STC for a car type shoulder harness.

More
09 Aug 2023 19:28 #11 by Ken Ballenger
4 point restraints was created by Ken Ballenger
I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I would like to switch from the lap belt on my 415D to a 4 point restraint.  My mechanic did some research and said that it could be done if we could find a structural member to attach to, but we couldn't drill into the airframe.  It would have to be clamped.  I was also told that it would be best to obtain an STC before installing. Also, how do I know what type of retraint meets FAA standards.  Thanks for any input.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds