Breadcrumbs

4 point restraints

More
14 Aug 2023 11:31 #1 by Ken Ballenger
Replied by Ken Ballenger on topic 4 point restraints
Thanks, Larry.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2023 11:16 #2 by Ken Ballenger
Thanks for the info, Bruce.
Ken

More
13 Aug 2023 19:37 #3 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic 4 point restraints
The FAA has acknowledged the value of shoulder harnesses by allowing their installation as a "minor change" per AC 23-17C. No STC or field approval req'd.
As a safety improvement, any shoulder harness should be acceptable. The harness could be attached to a right angled bar the length of Frame F. The front of the bar becomes a doubler for Frame F, a minor alteration as long as holes are drilled only into the doubler and not into the Frame. How the doubler
is attached to Frame F is between you and your mechanic.

More
13 Aug 2023 19:30 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 4 point restraints
The trick is to find an A&P/IA who has a relationship with the local FSDO and can help shepherd a field approval through. Just going to the FSDO will probably end up with a NO.

I'm attaching an approved 337 for a 4-point restraint that's installed in my airplane, for what it's worth. From my point of view, I'd almost want to put one in 337 or not because I'd rather explain it after I survived a crash than have them pry my face off the panel.

More
12 Aug 2023 17:44 #5 by Ken Ballenger
I agree that the 4-point is a better system. Thanks for the feedback, John.
Ken

More
11 Aug 2023 14:45 #6 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic 4 point restraints
Yes, the 337 is the form for an FAA "field approval" which is necessary for a major alteration. A 337 would also be filed for the STC but does not need FAA approval because the STC is already approved data. Your mechanic should be well versed with this.

I'm pursuing the four point because I feel it's a better restrain system, allowing better protection from lateral impacts, i.e. catching a wing and subsequently spinning as well as better for straight ahead impact. The three point is better than nothing though.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds