Breadcrumbs

Rebuilt after crash Coupe - how to ascertain safety?

More
27 Jun 2023 12:09 #7 by Super User
Wout, welcome to the EOC. First, few of us are IAs or DAR/DERs. So, this is all opinion.

If the repair was signed off appropriately, then the plane is "good to go". It may/may not perform as you wish, but those things are generally adjustable.

You would want to look closely at the log books entries, the repair work order and likely any/all details to which the work order refers. That will give you then sense of whether things were done appropriately.

I owned a 182 that had a firewall replacement as well as other things repaired/replaced as needed. The plane flew as well or better after the repairs made by a shop we picked that was an FAA repair station.

Best of luck figuring it out!

josef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2023 11:48 #8 by Wouter van Tiel
Hi EOC group,

I am and have been in the process of buying an Ercoupe to join you on your outings.

I found a really nice looking one, but it has some history. Notably a 2015 crash in which the wing and the firewall were damaged. It has been repaired and flown again. I am just in the beginning of asking questions and trying to figure out what I need to look for. 

I'd be asking whether it still flies straight and coordinated in level flight for starters and I'd like to know how many hours it has flown since the accident. Apparently, a lot of the kinks were taken care of but I don't know exactly what that means. I have downloaded the pre buy and annual inspection lists -thanks - those will be very helpful.

Any help in making a good decision is appreciated.

See you in the air, hopefully soon,.

Wout 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.085 seconds