Breadcrumbs

Tall Newbies & Leg Room

• William McCormick
  • William McCormick's Avatar Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2023 19:07 #7 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic Tall Newbies & Leg Room
Thank you for the suggestion Ronald. In doing more research found that the seats have strings/cords going width wise to help create the shape of the backrest. Wondering what can be done there with little to no mods except for string length?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• William McCormick
More
09 Jun 2023 19:04 #8 by William McCormick
Replied by William McCormick on topic Tall Newbies & Leg Room
Roger that, thanks Bruce. there'd be a one or two pounds of weight savings there as well no doubt.

More
06 Jun 2023 21:41 #9 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Tall Newbies & Leg Room
Remove the rudder pedals.
I've flown with friends 6'1" in my 415C that has no rudder pedals.
They complain about marginal head room, not a lack of leg room.

More
06 Jun 2023 21:18 #10 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Tall Newbies & Leg Room
For those with long legs, the oversized instrument panel makes it really difficult to get in and out of the plane. It is a knee knocker. Going back to the original panel size helps tremendously. Removing the rudder pedals also gives you a little extra room. The only other way I know of to get more room is minimize the thickness of the cushions, both seat and back. It is probably possible to build a new seat frame that sits partially into the baggage area. I will be curious to see if anyone has actually done that. Of course, that would require a new weight and balance with modified arms for the pilot and passenger.

• William McCormick
More
06 Jun 2023 19:22 - 06 Jun 2023 19:34 #11 by William McCormick
Tall Newbies & Leg Room was created by William McCormick
EDIT: I did just find this site I will explore as well: ercoupe.info/?n=Main.HomePage

I'm 6' even (I blame my dad) and my panel is a sharp "knee knocker" making me think folks in the 40's were a smidge shorter on average. My mission if possible, is to take "Tweety" back to the original panel and interior while losing as much weight as I safely can. '46 Coupe with Continental C75-12 currently at 843 lbs empty. I've downloaded the Univair catalog and will be scouring that this week to see whats available.

I've been scouring the web and these forums, is there any way at all to get more leg room? There is a bar on added to the bottom of the panel with the parking brake, brake, throttle, mixture, transponder, starter button etc. I am believing based on reading we can redo the panel any configuration we'd like to move these up/somewhere else and remove this added bar? Along with that it appears the seat is "hard wired" into its place, is there any way to get the seat back itself, back 3 - 4 inches? Am thinking the wooden floor board where the rudder pedals are is firmly against the firewall so a NoGo there.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2023 19:34 by William McCormick.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds