Breadcrumbs

Vacuum Pump Failure

More
16 Sep 2017 19:57 #1 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic Vacuum Pump Failure
Definitely true! My iPad and altimeter almost never agree. The G5 is hooked to the pitot static system so the G5 and altimeter agree almost perfectly. The iPad and D2 can be off from the altimeter by 150 feet. Still 150 feet is better than no idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arlan Allen
16 Sep 2017 00:13 #2 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic Vacuum Pump Failure
Be careful with GPS altitude it can and will vary from altitude indicated on a sensitive altimeter.
Arlan
N3989H
SN4690

More
13 Sep 2017 20:39 #3 by Gordie Meade
Vacuum Pump Failure was created by Gordie Meade
A little while ago I was out with my Mooney M10 with a Continental C90 on a beautiful sunshiney Florida day. I just happened to glance down at the vacuum gauge and before my eyes, it went from 6 to 0. I continued my scan and the artificial horizontal gradually rolled about 60 degrees. Since it was a nice day, all I had to do was look out the window but I could envision a dark night or crappy weather where this could be an issue.
I decided to fix the problem. With a 337, we pulled out the entire vacuum system, pump, filter, regulator, and hoses. I had two Garmin G5s installed as Horizon and HSI (they are certified) so I have redundant AHRS and feel good about that. There is an alternative that is way less money. Dynon makes what they call a D2, portable panel. It is GPS based and is a battery powered EFIS. It gives you horizon, heading, altitude, ground speed, rate of climb, etc. It's about 4 inches square and is rechargeable.
I do not work for Garmin or Dynon. Just wanted to share some cool stuff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: George Sellers

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds