Breadcrumbs

Misleading Ercoupe for Sale Listings (Converted to D)

More
23 Jun 2023 10:46 - 23 Jun 2023 10:47 #13 by Larry Snyder
Greg,

This has been a problem since 2004, when the light sport rules took effect. If I were to buy an Ercoupe and relying on sport pilot rules to fly, I’d make darn sure there was no 337 submitted on a conversion! I wonder how many there are listed as D models, where the work was done, but no paperwork was filed. They would still be C models! And when you realize that 4000 C models were built and about 50 D models came out of the factory, I’ll bet there are a lot that aren’t what they appear to be!
Last edit: 23 Jun 2023 10:47 by Larry Snyder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Harris
  • Greg Harris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
23 Jun 2023 09:14 - 23 Jun 2023 09:32 #14 by Greg Harris
As I decide if I am going to definitely restore my Ercoupe or sell it as-is and buy a currently airworthy one, I have come across 5 listings so far that have been converted to D models where the seller claims it is a 415-C in the ad. The ads I have seen were mostly on Trade-a-plane and Barnstormers.

With a free FAA cares account, you can pull the records for any aircraft. Including al the 337 and STC docs, etc. This latest one I pulled is completely missing every 337 except 2 of them. One of which was the 415-C to D conversion. Plain as day. Another seller has the last annual doc included in the listing which says right on top under model "415-C converted to 415-D"

Either these sellers are ignorant, or they are misleading.They all clearly had 337 for C to D conversion which increases weight limit to 1,400 lbs. Even when I pointed it out, only one of the sellers changed the listing because he clearly didn't realize. Which most likely means some of these owners didn't even realize it was converted since Registrations always show the original 415-C as model.

Very frustrating. Be aware if looking to purchase an LSA compliant 415.

Greg
myercoupe.com

Last edit: 23 Jun 2023 09:32 by Greg Harris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds