Breadcrumbs

1320 Lb STC

More
26 Apr 2022 12:41 #1 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic 1320 Lb STC
Thanks Larry. You saved me $200. No way will I ever reduce the elevator to 9 degrees. With all of the detail Alpha gives about the STC requirements on their web site, I'm shocked they make no mention of what is an important alteration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2022 09:04 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 1320 Lb STC
Basically, the FAA did not think the Ercoupe was spinproof enough at 1400 pounds with 13° of up travel, so they required it to be reduced to 9°. The item that allowed for the 1320 STC was the reduction in elevator travel, a la the D model.
I’ve had some folks tell me 9° was not a problem, but others have said it is. I imagine it depends on the speeds at which you land. If you land a little faster it probably won’t be any different. But if you slow it almost to the point it drops, you might be surprised when it drops sooner.

More
26 Apr 2022 08:57 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 1320 Lb STC
Sorry, Bruce, but the STC does require limiting elevator up travel to 9 degrees. For some reason the only place this is spelled out is in the STC itself. To be sure, I sent a note to Don at Alpha. Here is his response:

Limiting the elevator travel to 9 degrees is the core item that allows the increase to 1320.

It is covered in the Stc documents and you should have your a/p verify that the stc requirements have been met and that your aircraft is in full compliance.

Sincerely
Don

More
26 Apr 2022 00:50 #4 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic 1320 Lb STC
Alpha Aviation's 1320 lb STC does not require an Elevator angle change, only a change to the wider 1 3/8" trim tab if your C model has the original 3/4" trim tab.
It is basically a paperwork STC.
Per Fred Weick, the Ercoupe designer, the D model's 13 degree to 9 degree change was unnecessary. Tribal knowledge says at 9 degrees the landing flair
is practically non-existant but that discussion is for a different topic.

More
22 Apr 2022 15:27 #5 by Ron Holmes
Replied by Ron Holmes on topic 1320 Lb STC
I am in your court and wondering the same thing...

• Morris Pearson
  • Topic Author
03 Feb 2022 20:20 #6 by Morris Pearson
1320 Lb STC was created by Morris Pearson
Considering the 1320 Lb STC. I see that the STC required the elevator be restricted to 9 degrees of up travel. My 415 C still has the original 13 degrees of up travel. Was wondering if anyone has done the STC and how it affected the plane with the restricted pitch limit? I seem to remember that ERCO had a disagreement with the FAA on the 9 degree elevator for the D model that caused them to produce the C/D version for a while keeping the 13 degree pitch limit.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds