Breadcrumbs

C85 Overhaul Prices

More
30 Aug 2021 06:04 #1 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic C85 Overhaul Prices
I cannot address your overhaul price question, but you’ve got time left on the engine so if there’s not metal in the screen and the cylinders seem good, there should be no reason to overhaul it at this point in time,....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2021 18:22 #2 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic C85 Overhaul Prices
TBO is just a number. If your aren't making metal, compressions are good, (above 65) and she runs OK, Just keep flying it. An aquaintance last year had his 85 overhauled in Michigan and it was about $13000. In my book, that would buy alot of avgas and aviation oil. Now on the other had if you don't need or want to leave a big wad of money to your heirs, go ahead and get a nice new shiny overhauled engine. Better spent on an ercoupe engine than wasting it on inheritance taxes. to the state and federal grave robbers.

More
09 Aug 2021 17:28 - 09 Aug 2021 17:29 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic C85 Overhaul Prices
There is no reason you should need an overhaul. You’re below TBO on the bottom end and the top end sounds like it should be ok. If you take a C-85 to an engine shop for a complete overhaul you’re looking at $20,000 more or less!
Last edit: 09 Aug 2021 17:29 by Larry Snyder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: John Farrell

More
09 Aug 2021 17:17 #4 by John Farrell
C85 Overhaul Prices was created by John Farrell
My ERcoupe is going in for its first annual at the end of the month since I bought her August 2019.   Put 25 hours on her in past 11  months.  She has a high time engine( C-85-12F) past TBO (2280 hrs SMOH). She had a bottom O/H in 1995 around 1300 hours ago.  All cylinders have been O/H since then at various times in the 90's and as late as 2011. In 2016 the crankshaft gear was O/H.  Burns about a quart of oil every 8 hours or so.  Good compressions in mid to high 70's.  I am hoping the engine passes inspection, but . . .if not then probably looking at major O/H.  Looking for estimates of cost for an O/H. I had a Bonanza IO-470-C  O/H several years ago at a local shop (Premier Engines in Troutdale Oregon with good success) and would probably have them do the O/H.  Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.  P.S.  I turn 80 in October so she'll probably out live me!  

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds