Breadcrumbs

Oil temp/pressure

More
28 May 2018 15:53 #13 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Oil temp/pressure
My 1946 415-C is on it's second 75 hp engine.
Oil temp on both run 190 on a warm day and
200 on a really hot day here in Kansas City.
Oil pressure on the original engine was 22 psi
on a hot day. The 2nd engine stays at 35 psi hot.
My bet is the oil pump on the accessory case
is worn. Unfortunately that requires an engine
removal to repair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Henry Pasquet
28 May 2018 14:58 - 28 May 2018 14:59 #14 by Henry Pasquet
Replied by Henry Pasquet on topic Oil temp/pressure
Do you have an oil filter? If it has not been changed recently, it could be the problem. If not, it sounds like it may need a major overhaul.
Last edit: 28 May 2018 14:59 by Henry Pasquet.

More
28 May 2018 14:20 #15 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Oil temp/pressure
No magic here. I just looked it up in the Continental specs. Cruise oil pressure should be 30-35 psi. Hot idle should be at least 10 psi. And 170 is not warm at all - many folks think it's important to get oil temp to 180 to burn out water and stuff. Maximum oil temp is 225, but I certainly wouldn't recommend running it long at that temp. This weekend I flew to KC and my oil temp was between 180 and 190. In the winter I have to be satisfied with cooler.

So at 27 you are just below the minimum. You can raise the pressure through spacers on the relief valve, I think. I'm not sure about that. Good luck!

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
28 May 2018 08:54 #16 by Chris Carlisle
Replied by Chris Carlisle on topic Oil temp/pressure
Note. A little parallax angle on the gauge makes it look like the colored arcs are incorrect but they're ok when viewed straight on. Same with the oil pressure needle. Pressure is 27 psi.

• Chris Carlisle
  • Topic Author
28 May 2018 08:51 #17 by Chris Carlisle
Oil temp/pressure was created by Chris Carlisle
It finally got hot here in the upper midwest and my airplane doesn't like it. The oil temp is hard pressed to come off the peg on your avg 50 degree Spring day but once the ambient temp rises above 80 or so, things get hot fast and as the oil temp reaches 160 or 170, the pressure starts to drop. When oil temp reaches 170 the pressure drops below the minimum 30 psi as you can see in the pic. The engine is C85 with about 1200 hrs on overhaul. I've tried straight 50W oil and 20W-50 oils with no difference noted. My gut feeling is that if it's not a gauge accuracy issue it's probably a worn pump housing or worse yet, worn main bearings although oil analysis to date has been fine. I change it every 25 hours.

Anyone have a magic solution?

Chris Carlisle
415C, Ser #508
Sioux Falls, SD

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds