Breadcrumbs

4-point safety harness to replace seat belts

More
28 Jul 2016 09:56 #1 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic 4-point safety harness to replace seat belts
Right. The ones I've seen all mount on a bulkhead behind the pilot at/above shoulder level.

OTOH - living with a compressed spines still beats being dead. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2016 22:59 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic 4-point safety harness to replace seat belts
I would be concerned about a floor mounted system. The anchor has to be at or above shoulder height. If the straps go down from your shoulder, an accident could easily compress your spine.

More
02 Jul 2016 18:38 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic 4-point safety harness to replace seat belts
There are several (well, two) mods for shoulder harnesses. I would highly recommend them. The worst thing would be to have a coupe land hard/off field and come to a sudden stop. If your head hit the glare shield, it would undoubtedly do damage that could be easily prevented.

Look in the files section under 337's and there's a couple under "Shoulder Harness" (IIRC). Also, I put in an alternative style that was a minor modification, bu tprovides substantial holding capability. email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and I'll send you a copy (I need to upload it as soon as possible).

josef

• gllafet
  • Topic Author
02 Jul 2016 11:21 #4 by gllafet
Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to the club with a recently purchased Mooney M10. (Darn it, the plane was in the shop during the fly-in). Hope you all had fun!

Please give your advice on my conundrum.

How would you replace/add to the seat belts with a shoulder restraint like a inertial reel or most likely a 4-point harness?

The guys at univair were stumped. Scott at Hooker Harness was a bit skeptical. He was concerned that when push came to shove, a floor-mounted over-the shoulder harness would simply bend the seat back under stress. I'm in the "something is better than nothing" camp.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Greg Llafet
N73PM
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

970-290-5797

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds