Breadcrumbs

AD 2012-08-06

More
26 May 2022 21:42 #1 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic AD 2012-08-06
I do the GPS readings at six airspeeds: 125, 110, 95, 80, 65, 50 and record the results in the maintenance records. I found that the airspeed indicator read high at higher speeds and low at lower speeds and was pretty much spot on at 80 and 95. The error curve pretty much tracks what is in the Univair Alon manual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tyler Ives

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2022 21:16 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic AD 2012-08-06
And using the GPS method also gives you practice flying at a specific speed.

More
26 May 2022 20:25 #3 by Charles Rosenfeld
Replied by Charles Rosenfeld on topic AD 2012-08-06
I performed the in-flight GPS/ASI test, just this morning. Flew headings of 360/120/240 recording both GPS & ASI readings. This is best performed with low winds aloft. Keep the date ,Tach, and readings in my maintenance file and list compliance in my aircraft log.

More
26 May 2022 17:31 #4 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic AD 2012-08-06
There are a lot of Ercoupe airspeed indicator that are not repairable.as I found out when I send two down to Ruby Instr. a few months ago.... Look to see how it comes apart or i it does. They did two for me they look new $ 370. each.

More
25 May 2022 06:30 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic AD 2012-08-06
All your mechanic has to do is check for free play in the ailerons.

While you can send your airspeed indicator to a shop, you can also take your airplane up and fly it at three speeds in three directions and use your GPS to verify the accuracy. There is an Excel workbook somewhere on this site that has three sheets for three different speeds and you enter your GPS ground speed at 360°, 120° and 240° while flying at the specified airspeed. The sheet will then show you calculated airspeed and even the wind conditions at the time. I simply sign the printed sheets and include them in the aircraft maintenance records.

• Tyler Ives
  • Topic Author
24 May 2022 23:43 #6 by Tyler Ives
AD 2012-08-06 was created by Tyler Ives
Hello Fellow Ercoupe Owners! 

I've owned N323TB (Forney F-1 Serial 5705) for nearly two years now. My airplane was in for its annual condition inspection earlier this week. I got an interesting call from my mechanic today regarding AD 2012-08-06. He said that he must have missed the full extent of this AD last year and that now that he's really digging into the AD and believes it to be fairly involved. My understanding was that every four years the airspeed indicator needs to be sent to an FAA-certified repair shop (or calibrated aginst GPS using a provided spreadsheet). In addition, the ailerons must be blocked and tested for play (which can't exceed 5/16 of an inch if I remember correctly). Lastly, the entire rigging system must be inspected and adjusted. My mechanic seems to think that this would add another 4-5 hours of work every annual. 

Presumably, everyone here has experience with this AD. Any words of advice? Are we misunderstanding what is required? My mechanic is planning on calling Univair tomorrow for additional information. 

Thanks again! 

Tyler 

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds