Breadcrumbs

Voltage Meter Reading

More
29 Mar 2022 07:31 #1 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Voltage Meter Reading
Thank you Jack for your words.  Just FYI, I have an alternator not a generator and the battery is brand new.  I disconnected and reconnected the regulator and have not had a repeat of the problem since.  Also, I asked my A&P/IA to take a look at it during the annual.  Cannot replicate the issue.  So I guess (?) it's resolved.  Or at least I hope.  I'm having a new transceiver installed that I'd really like not become toast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2022 03:31 #2 by Jack Winter
Replied by Jack Winter on topic Voltage Meter Reading
Due to the low current capacity (quite low) of our generators and the battery size (and age) of a fresh (good) battery, battery increases of this magnitude for only a "few seconds" should never exist. Think of the battery as a 5 gallon pail and the generator as a coffee cup working to fill that. Yes it can happen, but the voltage should be a gradual change as the battery is charged up.
I would pay attention to other things which may be occuring at the same time - like a radio or transponder transmitting, maybe a strobe light flashing - these will induce a level into your voltmeter to make it "spike" or possible pegging the instrument as the photo shows.
To see this great of voltage for long periods of time will damage your electronics. The battery (if good) will be the best "filter" for all surges that your money can buy.

More
17 Mar 2022 13:45 #3 by Randy Branson
I disconnected and reconnected the wires on the regulator and have not had the issue again. Must have been a loose wire. However, I did report it to my AP/IA who is doing an annual now. He's not noticed any issue.

More
11 Feb 2022 09:27 #4 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic Voltage Meter Reading
Hmmm, you might put a charger on the battery to make sure it’s topped up. It might not have come fully charged. The chances of the new battery being defective is very small, so I’m putting my money on the voltage regulator or the wires thereto being the problem,…
I hate to say start changing things out. Do let us know your findings.

More
11 Feb 2022 08:43 #5 by Randy Branson
Yes, it is a sealed AGM battery so I guess technically it’s lead acid. , I have an alternator and not a generator.

More
09 Feb 2022 22:55 #6 by Robert James
Replied by Robert James on topic Voltage Meter Reading
So is your Odyssey battery lead/acid, or is it Lithium?
Cheers,

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds