Breadcrumbs

Bad steering on my F-1

More
19 Sep 2020 18:29 #1 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Bad steering on my F-1
Mentioned my Ercoupe turned left just fine and had a lot of resistance turning to the right. Well today was oil/filter change and time for a nice new nose wheel.
Pulled the nose wheel and cleaned bearings, installed a new Aero Trainer 5.00 x 5 6ply tire and now she turns easily and equally well both directions. The old tire was 41 years old by date code 1979 and scuffed and bald in several spots. New tire was the magic bullet for my steering problems.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2020 08:55 #2 by William James
Replied by William James on topic Bad steering on my F-1
Ok , just talked to my shop on the very hard nose steering . They completely removed all parts, checked for damage or problems, talked to Vern Gregory. The main guys there own an Ercoupe so they are very familiar with the type, they did the taxi test and some but very little improvement . . . . I am starting this AM with 15lb curl weights to build up my bi-ceps .Better to have taxi problems rather than in flight control problems !

• Gale York
  • Topic Author
01 Sep 2020 08:36 - 01 Sep 2020 08:38 #3 by Gale York
Replied by Gale York on topic Bad steering on my F-1
After removing the nose gear, cle@ning and checking for damage,wear, we greased and it worked much better. The old grease was hard and dirty. Not totally free as other GA steering, but
I can live with it now. Still hunts when taxing, but think tires might
Be the problem. Re bushed the knees; some wear there. This helped a lot. Overall, 7500 C is much better behaved now.
Last edit: 01 Sep 2020 08:38 by Gale York.

More
01 Sep 2020 04:33 #4 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Bad steering on my F-1
Awaiting your findings on the 415c, mine turns left fine but more resistance when turning right.

Rustypilot

More
30 Aug 2020 13:58 #5 by William James
Replied by William James on topic Bad steering on my F-1
my 415-C has the same steering problem except it only happens on right turn . . It takes all I have to turn right and on take-off it is a real task / same landing. It is in the shop now. I will advise if we succeed in fixing it

• Gale York
  • Topic Author
22 May 2020 20:34 #6 by Gale York
Bad steering on my F-1 was created by Gale York
My F-1 cannot be steered with one hand (unless you're very strong and hands of iron). It goes all over the taxi way. No way to hold near the yellow line. Requires two hands
and even then no real control. In the air all is good, Very light. I've seen youTube's of other 'coupes that were good one handed steering right down the middle while taxing.
Two A&P's have spent time on the nose gear. Completely removed and taken apart. Looked for bends, worn bearings etc, and nothing. Much slack on the ground with huge
resistance to controlling/turning. Any suggestions/thoughts. No plane could be sold with this kind of steering. Prior owner never realized the problem, so makes me thing it's
something more recent; like the last annual as he hadn't flown since the annual.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds