Breadcrumbs

Evaluating engine lower half on 1950s engine with ~600 hrs and 40 yrs SMOH

More
08 Oct 2023 13:28 #1 by Arlan Allen
Take a one time oil sample.  Take the sample out of oil reservoir.  Be sure to run the engine up and take a warm oil sample.

As side note one of my airplanes has 1300 smoh and 51 years of time.  The aircraft has been stored in it closed hanger in the Arizona desert.  It just had regular oil samples and has been in the family the entire time.  So a little different situation, because I know the history and who's been flying it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2023 22:58 #2 by Brian Hausknecht
Thank you forthe advice. Pulling jugs will require a serious discussion...how much risk does the buyer agree to take versus how much does seller want to sell, and how can this be fairly priced into the sale.
Immediate oil analysis sounds like a good data point if the oil has run long enough in the engine. Maybe a good intermediate indicator.
Thanks all!

More
26 Aug 2023 18:06 #3 by John Jones
It's possible to take an oil analysis sample without draining the oil. It might be worth a one time sample to check if there are any values way out of line. For example Blackstone's charge is $35/sample (but their processing time takes a while).

More
26 Aug 2023 10:31 #4 by Matt Gunsch
where the plane is has some impact as to the condition of the engine. If it was in a humid area, I would worry about rust, but if it was in say the southwest, I would not be too concerned about it. The only way to really see the cam and lifter faces is to remove 2 cylinders on the same side. You might be able to see some with a borescope if you drop the oil tank down, and go inside the case there.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brian Hausknecht

More
23 Aug 2023 22:23 #5 by Brian Hausknecht
You hit the nail on the head about the concern at the price of an overhaul versus the value of these planes. That's where the educated assessment of engine condition is so important. Thanks again.

More
23 Aug 2023 22:18 #6 by Larry Snyder
I’m not a mechanic, so hopefully someone can help out. I think I’d have to have a great price to buy this plane and set aside some bucks for an overhaul. Unfortunately we are living in times where an overhaul costs almost as much as a complete airplane!

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds