Breadcrumbs

Cracked former

• Alex Gilson
  • Topic Author
26 Aug 2023 18:07 #1 by Alex Gilson
Replied by Alex Gilson on topic Cracked former
Great news!

Today my A&P and I pulled out the rudders and floorboard - which I've now become quite proficient at - and made a funny discovery. That picture is not what it seems. What you're actually looking at - what appears to be a crack - is actually a doubler, which appears to have been installed when some other work was done in that area in 1981.

Given that it's held up for 41 years and is correctly signed off with accompanying 337, nothing more to see here.

Thanks for the good advice Matt - that's exactly the plan my A&P and I were discussing before we got into it today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2023 10:24 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Cracked former
there are only 2 options, fabricate a doubler for each side and try to fit it in place, or remove that section and splice in a new lower piece. I looked at the scrap fuselage I have and that is a single piece. For a doubler, I would make it large enough to incorporate the flange for extra strength.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

• Alex Gilson
  • Topic Author
22 Aug 2023 21:42 #3 by Alex Gilson
Cracked former was created by Alex Gilson
A short while ago I discovered something absolutely gutting. I've been doing my first annual with my A&P/CFI. For the most part we were done, with relatively minor squawks, nothing concerning and all relatively easy to sort out.

While I had the floorboard out I shot some pictures from various angles for posterity. Tonight, while going through some of those pictures, I saw this.

So, my fellow ercoupers and friends... what now?
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds