Breadcrumbs

Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious?

More
25 May 2023 09:12 #1 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious?
The AD may have been complied with in the past but it is a recurring AD that is required every 100 hours. If it is clicking now then the spar is most likely cracked and needing replaced with the new beefier spar. You can usually tell by looking at the rudder if it has been replaced in the past. The new spar is stronger and not supposed to crack but they can. It is not a huge job but you have to remove and replace the trailing edge rivets to get to it. The seller needs to fix this to comply with the AD to make the aircraft airworthy or compensate the price.

Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2023 11:28 #2 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious?
It needs compliance every 100 hours unless an alternate means of compliance is found. So, you should likely see records in the logbooks (airframe) every 100 hours since way back in 1957. I I’d insist the seller comply with it before selling it to you since it says the clicking sound is a requirement for doing the inspection.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
09 Apr 2023 10:11 #3 by Nathan Bissonette
Replied by Nathan Bissonette on topic Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious?
Thanks for the reply. I understand the AD must be complied with. I guess my question is when? Before the test flight? Is this a "down gripe" or is it something that may have existed for a time and been missed during prior annuals? Can the airplane be flown before it's fixed?

That leads me to the next question - what's it cost to comply with the rudder AD? If the cost is only a couple hundred dollars, I can handle that. If the cost is thousands, it blows a hole in the budget.

Trying to find the balance between walking away from an otherwise excellent airplane versus buying a pig in a poke.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

More
08 Apr 2023 07:43 #4 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious?
If an AD hasn’t been complied with, then the aircraft is unairworthy. If you have records showing compliance, then you have to decide to reinspect for the ad or not. Remember that ads, while sometimes issues out of an abundance of caution represent issues that are a potential threat to safety. I think you at least need the rudder examined before purchase. If the problem is the ad, then I think the seller needs to fix it or cover the cost for you to fix it.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
08 Apr 2023 07:11 #5 by Nathan Bissonette
Rudder AD 57-02-01 serious? was created by Nathan Bissonette
New member.  Currently in the pre-buy inspection phase.  Inspector noted the left rudder "clicks" when rudder is deflected indicating possible internal damage, referred me to AD 57-02-01.  

Seller thinks it's No Big Deal, I should accept the airplane as-is.  I'm concerned it may affect safe flight (plus I'll get stuck fixing it for the next buyer).

Is this a Big Deal or am I a Nervous Nellie?

What's it cost to comply with the AD?

Thanks for your insights. 

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds