Breadcrumbs

C-85 Backfire?

More
11 Feb 2023 18:53 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic C-85 Backfire?
John, when my poor bird sat for 7 months when I was sick it did the same thing. I checked around the intake hoses for cracks and blue stains, but no joy. A common cause of backfiring is an intake leak. I don’t have my logbook handy, but I had a variety of problems, like a broken exhaust stud with a loose exhaust and other stuff I can’t remember. I think there was an intake leak, but there was more than that. How did all that happen sitting in the hangar? Heck if I know!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2023 18:39 #2 by John Trowbridge
Replied by John Trowbridge on topic C-85 Backfire?
My rebuilt C-85/with O-200 crank sat for 18 months (long story), seemed to run ok BUT after 6 hours she began popping in the midrange rpm (1400-1800). We did EVERYTHING (literally -- what seems to have fixed is LOTS of MMO in gas and oil and running her max out -- We think this has solved, we think this was a valve sticking problem. John Trowbridge Houston

More
25 Apr 2022 00:28 #3 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic C-85 Backfire?
Sounds like possibly another intake leak - check the the gaskets between the case and the flange adapter that the intake rubbers clamp on to. Failure of one or more of these gaskets causes intake leak/s that result in backfiring. Agree with the MMO after setting long time. Wouldn't hurt to add a little to gas.

More
23 Apr 2022 18:16 #4 by Larry Snyder
C-85 Backfire? was created by Larry Snyder
I haven’t flown my plane much since I got sick last July. I usually fly way more than 100 hours a year, so it’s weird my little Ercoupe had to sit neglected for months.
The old girl surprised me by staying in great shape and even the battery stayed charged. It passed its annual with flying colors, too. 
Her engine is a C-85 with the O-200 crankshaft STC. 
I have noticed, though, a little popping when throttling to idle with a warm engine. I’ve had real backfiring in the past when I had an intake leak, and these new ones are much quieter. 
i checked the intake hose clamps and made sure they were snug. There were no blue stains, so I assume that’s not my problem this time. 
I’m thinking that the long time sitting may now be causing the valves to stick just a little bit. 
I plan to put a cup of MMO in the oil and then give it a good long run next Wednesday to eat BBQ at Hot Springs. 
Any thoughts?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds