Breadcrumbs

Tachometer drive cable

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
12 Sep 2016 21:58 #1 by carlisle_99
Replied by carlisle_99 on topic Tachometer drive cable
Wow. Sounds like there's not a lot of leeway for error. Too short and it's obviously a problem. Too long and I'll end up having to weave it around too much creating kinks and bends that aren't acceptable. Thanks Ron. Thirty six inches seems reasonable. If I win the tach I'm bidding on on Ebay right now, I'll order that one from Univair with option to return if it's wrong.

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2016 21:37 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Tachometer drive cable
Mine is about 36" long. The tach is located on the far left. The cable passes through the elongated hole in the firewall, then over to the tach connection on the engine. It is just long enough. It is not long enough to pass through the center of the firewall and then weave over to the tachometer.

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
12 Sep 2016 12:21 #3 by carlisle_99
Replied by carlisle_99 on topic Tachometer drive cable
Thanks Ron. I run a string or something to simulate the cable for a better estimate.

Chris

More
12 Sep 2016 00:43 #4 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Tachometer drive cable
I have the NR type in mine. I imagine it depends on which tachometer you get, mine is pretty old (maybe original?). Regarding length, you will need to know where on the Instrument panel is your tach installed, and where will the cable passes through the fire wall. Then stretch a wire (no tight bends) from the tach to the take-off on the engine, following the path the cable will follow. Measure that and get the next longer cable. The tachometer take off is part of the oil screen housing, between the magnetos. 24" inches seems short, I don't think that even gets you from the instrument panel to the firewall. I can get a rough measurement on mine tomorrow.

Ron

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
11 Sep 2016 10:06 #5 by carlisle_99
Tachometer drive cable was created by carlisle_99
My 415C (ser # 508) had an electronic tach that senses off the magnetos installed many years before I bought it earlier this year. I hate it and want to install an old fashioned analog dial-type tachometer again. The instrument is fairly easy to find but I'm not sure which drive cable to get. Univair lists several, all applicable for Ercoupes (and others), and all of different lengths, some up to 96". I can't imagine mine would be more than 24" judging by the looks of it but really don't have any idea which one to get. Does anyone know how long the Teleflex drive cable should be?

Chris
Sioux Falls, SD

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds