Breadcrumbs

Shoulder Restraints for M10

More
10 Aug 2016 05:29 #1 by Lynn Nelsen AP/IA
Replied by Lynn Nelsen AP/IA on topic Shoulder Restraints for M10
Hey Greg, I recommend the David Smoler type installation. This is the last one shown on the Ercoupe info page and submitted by Mr. Amero. It is a good installation, very well documented, and provides excellent protection. When used with the AM Safe units and retractors it works very well. I have installed several in different models.
Lynn Nelsen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2016 13:40 #2 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Shoulder Restraints for M10
9994: That is the one, complete with all its FAA legalize I hope the webmaster will note your response and file it in the library/archives. When you cut thru all the legalize/rationale and ponder the letter, I feel that the FAA "cut us some slack" and provides the way, with the appropriate rationale/justification, for A&Ps to consider such installations "minor alterations" with only logbook entries and not requiring additional approval. Again this is quite a comprehensive document and takes some study of the FAA rationale but the guidelines are there - can't you imagine what it took to get this document through the bureaucracy. All vintage clubs should have this letter in their files.

Greg: If you would like to discuss your issue and possible approach in more specific detail, send me your phone number and convenient time to talk and I'll call you - my email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thanks 9994 for your timely contribution!!.

More
26 Jul 2016 21:08 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Shoulder Restraints for M10
I think this is the FAA letter to which you refer.

www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/harness_kits...a/shoulderpolicy.pdf

More
23 Jul 2016 03:36 #4 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic Shoulder Restraints for M10
As a newbie, you should go to "ercoupe.info" - a world of Coupe info there. Look at the home page left side bar and click on seats/belts. At the bottom of the references you'll find what you need - just do your reading - but on back of one of the 337s you will find a reference to an FAA Policy letter which says seat belt shoulder restraints can be installed as minor modification and note that same page has a FAA stamp approval. This opens up a lot possibilities - my opinion, you can duplicate any of the previously approved installations and document as a minor alteration in your logs. Welcome Aboard!

• gllafet
  • Topic Author
21 Jul 2016 17:00 #5 by gllafet
Shoulder Restraints for M10 was created by gllafet
Hello All,
I'm probably the newest member of the club. I've just joined after purchasing a Mooney M10.
The first order of business is finding a way to get a shoulder restraint system or harness installed. Bear in mind the M10 has two bucket seats, not a bench seat.
So, I've tried Univair, Hooker Harness, and Alpha Aviation. Only Alpha holds a STC for their kits, but it does not apply to the Alons and Mooneys with bucket seats. I'm considering using the Alpha kit and applying for a field approval of the airframe modification.
BUT FIRST, I'd like to ask you all - the knowledgeable folks - if you've seen or heard of any clever and safe methods to fabricate/install a restraint system. Thanks!
Greg Llafet, Greeley Colorado (the FNG)

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds