Breadcrumbs

"Alignment". Pulls to left on taxi

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
15 Sep 2016 22:18 #1 by carlisle_99
Replied by carlisle_99 on topic "Alignment". Pulls to left on taxi
Update....Well, not really. The problem persists and I am stumped. As a last resort I loosened the brake calipers on both wheels so that I effectively had no brakes, taxied out to the runway very slowly and carefully, and tried a nice long straight test with option to turn off into the grass infield for emergency braking if required. It still pulls left, even with brakes disengaged from discs. That's GOT to be some sort of alignment problem with the mains. It's an older 'coupe (ser # 508) with the welded steel tube landing gear that attaches to front of spar rather than forged aluminum. On landing, with some speed, it takes quite an effort to keep her on the centerline of the runway, esp with brake application.

Signed,
Chris (stumped and frustrated)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
14 Jul 2016 17:50 #2 by carlisle_99
Alignment procedure in maintenance manual really just making sure nosewheel points straight ahead when control yoke is centered which is ok on my plane. Still can't figure out why it wants to pull left.

Pulling is worse with braking but when I jack the plane up, there is no binding of the left brake and mechanic bled lines, etc. Only thing I can think is that the mains are somehow misaligned although visually, they look fine. Nose strut looks nice and straight too and there's no lateral play in it when the plane is rocked back and forth.

Maybe I'll just taxi it down to Big-O and see if they'd do a rear alignment! :)

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
07 Jul 2016 19:01 #3 by carlisle_99
Thanks......Had no idea there was nosewheel alignment procedure. Ordered service manual and will check into it.

More
07 Jul 2016 13:44 #4 by Edward Moore
Replied by Edward Moore on topic "Alignment". Pulls to left on taxi
Have you checked nose wheel alignment per the service manual - what you are calling "pulling" may be just alignment due to the direct nose gear steering. Suggest, if you don't have service manual you should obtain one - Spruce or Univair - don't cost much. Another thought, autos can have similar problem if they have a bad tire - internal plies/belts that have shifted. Before you go in to a big "witch hunt$$" do the simple stuff first - try reversing the nose wheel tire on the wheel and see if pulling action changes sides. I'm not the most experienced on the Coupes but possibly some of the gurus will chime in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carlisle_99

• carlisle_99
  • Topic Author
05 Jul 2016 20:54 #5 by carlisle_99
"Alignment". Pulls to left on taxi was created by carlisle_99
Making progress on SN #508 415C here in Sioux Falls. Plane supposedly came with fresh annual. Now, $5700 later and several AD's and frank false logbook entries later, things are starting to shape up.

While taxiing, the plane pulls to the left. It's easily corrected with gentle right pressure on yoke but annoying. Problem is worse with application of brakes. Mechanic bled brakes, examined pucks, etc. All ok. Wondering if negligent previous owner possibly bent main gear or something to account for it although just looking, everything appears straight and mechanic says main gear attach holes where gear mates to front spar are not elongated or worn.

Anyone run into this before?

Thanks
Chris

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds