Breadcrumbs

Optical Fuel sensor

More
02 Mar 2024 08:36 #1 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Optical Fuel sensor
don't know about other coupes, but I can see the float spinning inside the tube while in flight, if I don't see it spinning, I am not getting fuel to the header.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2024 22:52 #2 by Keith Whitcomb
Optical Fuel sensor was created by Keith Whitcomb
I own an 65 Alon.  I have adopted the philosophy of planning to always land with the header tank full.  My engine burns 5.7 gallons per hour and the 6 gallon header tank gives me a one hour margin of safety.   With the aircrafts limited gross weight, I routinely fly with less than full fuel and take out fuel according to the passengers weight.  My biggest concern is failing no notice when my header tank bobber has started to drop.

I was reading on an experimental aircraft webpage and learned about an optical fuel sensor.  www.aircraftextras.com/LowFuelSensor.htm   The sensor threads are 1/4 NPT.  The leads are about 5" long, this thing is tiny.   I’m thinking I may have to do a 337 to install it in my aircraft.  If it was installed in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the header tank, it would light up an idiot light when the fuel is absent.   

If you wanted to use 30 or 45 minutes, it would be possible to install it in the header tank if you’d like to drill and tap a hole in the side of your header tank.  I’m thinking thats not a great idea.

As an A&P for the last 25 years,  I can easily do the work, the only issue is the 337.

Do you think this is a good idea?  Care to talk me out of it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds