Breadcrumbs

winch or pulley?

More
05 Feb 2024 16:33 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic winch or pulley?
Hi Nathan, I have only had one hangar with an uphill slope. I used a come along into the tail tie down. The come along was tied down close to the floor. So the tail was being pull slightly down and putting some of the engine weight back to the mains. Send me some pics of your airplane...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2024 14:02 #2 by Kenneth Crofut
Replied by Kenneth Crofut on topic winch or pulley?
I also attach the pull ropes to the bottom of the main landing gear attached to a 120 volt winch with remote control. Harbor freight $125.00. Tow bar on nose to steer center of hanger.

More
04 Feb 2024 11:16 #3 by George Polos
Replied by George Polos on topic winch or pulley?
I use ropes around both mains (avoid binding the break line) and attach them to the clip on the end of the wench rope. Works great.

More
04 Feb 2024 08:32 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic winch or pulley?
I sure wouldn't use the rear tie down ring to pull the plane up a hill. It's designed to take a vertical load, not a horizontal one. Sooner or later I would expect it to snap off.

That being said, I I'm not sure the best spot to use. I guess the nose gear is where it would get moved with a tug - maybe put a town bar on backwards and use it to pull the plane up the hill? I have the same problem, but I've been taxiing the plane up to the open door and turning it sideways so I can maneuver it in by hand with the tow bar.

• Nathan Bissonette
  • Topic Author
More
04 Feb 2024 08:22 #5 by Nathan Bissonette
winch or pulley? was created by Nathan Bissonette
The apron in front of my new hangar is inclined and exposed to weather.  Pushing the 415-C uphill in winter is a challenge.  I'm thinking about a winch, come-along, or block-and-tackle to pull it up the hill into the hangar.  

I read an earlier post where someone damaged the rear tie-down by pulling on it with a winch.  Is the rear tie-down a weak point or just on his bird?   How about  using a strap around the landing gear to pull on? 

Any other ideas?  Suggestions much appreciated. 

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds