Breadcrumbs

Remove Vacuum and add AV-30

More
03 Apr 2024 07:43 #1 by Raymond Knox
Replied by Raymond Knox on topic Remove Vacuum and add AV-30
As of today - An AV30 is approved for primary AI & Slip when set to AI mode only. An AV30 is approved for primary DG when set to DG mode only. It is not approved as a primary for any other instrument. But does give a lot more instrument data as secondary. Such as: it gives AS, but you need to keep your primary ASI installed, it gives Altitude but you need to keep your altitude indicator install, etc…. It is not approved as primary if you leave it in the setting of being able to toggle it between AI and DG mode. Of course the original Ercoupe did not have an attitude or DG indicator. So you could just have a single AV30. But to be practice, best to have two. One set up for AI between the ships primary AS and Alt indicators. And the second one set up as a DG under the AI. As of right now I have removed 12lbs of vacuum system, instruments and wiring. Mine is originally 415-C. With many mods over the years. I am an A&P/ IA and PPL, with 45 yrs of experience. But like everyone, always learning something new.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2023 05:14 #2 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Remove Vacuum and add AV-30
The AV30 & the G5 are not certified as a primary flight display which is ok for VFR only.

• Greg Harris
  • Greg Harris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
26 Oct 2023 22:37 #3 by Greg Harris
Replied by Greg Harris on topic Remove Vacuum and add AV-30
I’m only going to replace the vacuum stuff and leave the rest. Apparently the AV-30 comes with STC so easy process I guess.

More
26 Oct 2023 18:04 #4 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic Remove Vacuum and add AV-30
I was looking at the same deal in my Aircoupe. Remove 15 instruments & the vacuum system & replace with 4 instruments.

I was interested in the RC Allen 6 pack and heading indicator. Both are TSO’d but RC Allen hasn’t done STC’s. so my avionics shop nixed the deal, they won’t even attempt a 337 anymore.

The FAA here in Atlanta Ga has made the 337 process way harder to do. They said hire a DAR, or DER to skip the FAA 337 approval process.

They suggested the Garmin GI 275 pair (no steam gauges required). Even though the GI 275’s are slightly more expensive, they both are STC’d and listed on the AML. It’d be cheaper than the DAR/DER process and the GPS ties in via RS-232 to the heading indicator.

The 2 GI 275’s, an electronics international engine monitor, and a mounted clock, will give me IFR legal & less weight.

I am an A&P so I can perform and sign off much of this work myself.

• Greg Harris
  • Away
More
26 Oct 2023 14:32 #5 by Greg Harris
Was what installed under 337? I’m not following.

• Greg Harris
  • Away
More
26 Oct 2023 14:31 #6 by Greg Harris
The AV-30 and TailbeaconX package was like $600 more I think.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds