Breadcrumbs

Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -

More
29 Jul 2016 22:11 #1 by James Mays
Replied by James Mays on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
Actually the old tank appeared to have been repaired numerous times; was dented and corroded and beat up pretty bad. Had old gray sealant gunked all around the seams and the base of the filler neck - looked like JB Weld. Sloshing compound was most likely restricting the lines but we blew them all out when we put the new tank in so they are all now clear. What I also found was that the top of the inlet and the overflow standpipes inside the tank had apparently been replaced at some point in the past and placed way too close to the top of the tank; both about 1/2 inch or less from the top. Meaning the tank was always on the verge of overfilling. So you are probably right; some of the old sloshing compound had probably starting breaking loose and restricting the overflow line enough to cause the tank to begin to overfill worse and worse, to the point where every time I flew it came out of the vent and splattered against the windshield. New tank works great. The fuel gauge rod used to stay almost at the top of the Rain Pruf Gauge; now it rides about a third of the way inside the glass tube.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 21:15 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
So, I am going to go out on a limb here and guess: Sloshing compound had plugged the return line to the wing tanks, hence the tank was over flowing as the pump filled it. Is that correct?

More
24 Jul 2016 13:54 #3 by James Mays
Replied by James Mays on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
Tim, please feel free to call me at 816-803-0139. The 5 gal header tank in my 415C began to leak fuel out from around the cap also last fall. I thought at first it was the gasket, or the cap just not sealing tight enough against the filler neck. Even checked out the Rain- Pruf gage as Larry has suggested. My problem was none of these. The leaking got worse and worse and the old tank finally developed a crack and had to be removed. We found the tank had sloshing compound inside that was coming loose. The tank was also actually over filling with fuel and coming out of the vent in front of the cap. I eventually had to replace the whole tank with one fabricated locally by an expert welder. I've learned several things can be causing this and need to be checked. Call me and I'll be more than happy to share with you what I learned in solving my header problem. Lynn Nelson, Larry Snyder, and Marv Dunlap were invaluable in me being able to solve my problem once and for all.

Ron Mays
Kansas City MO
N99729

• Tim Treat
24 Jul 2016 13:17 #4 by Tim Treat
Replied by Tim Treat on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
I have a slightly different issue. During taxi, my float rises to the top of the sight glass and then fuel pours out over the cowl. What is the cause? ai am not sure why it suddenly seems to overflow the header tank. It quickly stabilizes back to the normal float level but it makes a mess on the windshield.

• Tim Treat
24 Jul 2016 12:56 #5 by Tim Treat
Replied by Tim Treat on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
I have a slightly different issue. During taxi, my float rises to the top of the sight glass and then fuel pours out over the cowl. What is the cause? ai am not sure why it suddenly seems to overflow the header tank. It quickly stabilizes back to the normal float level but it makes a mess on the windshield.

More
28 Apr 2016 13:27 #6 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Sight guage on header tank filling with fuel -
Make sure the red cap on your Rain-Pruf gauge is not cracked or leaking. If it is, fuel will bubble into the glass tube. There is also a small gasket on the bottom of the sight tube, and it can start leaking.

Larry
N99340

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds