Breadcrumbs

Why have a turn and bank?

More
13 Sep 2022 12:05 #13 by Bruce Bennett
Replied by Bruce Bennett on topic Why have a turn and bank?
For my flying, the Turn and Bank was useless. When it died I removed it
and the venturi which was now also useless. Replaced the Turn and Bank
with a four probe cylinder head temperature monitor. Much more useful to me
and the plane looks cleaner with the venturi gone. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2022 15:12 #14 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Why have a turn and bank?
Jerry's right. I can't imagine that an instructor didn't have a good answer - sounds like they missed that day in instructor school.

Having said that, it's not necessary unless your plane is an IFR platform. But it is enormously useful as a cross-reference. Even a coupe can slip and skid in the right conditions.

More
09 Sep 2022 14:37 #15 by Jerry Nograsek
Replied by Jerry Nograsek on topic Why have a turn and bank?
a turn rate indicator is a valid backup for an attitude indicator".

The turn rate indicator can tell you which direction you are banked, and can give you a clue as to how steeply you are banked. Flying with the turn rate indicator as the only available gyroscopic instrument is called "partial panel" flying, this can save your life if you happen to fly into a cloud

More
08 Sep 2022 23:30 #16 by Joe Messinger
Why have a turn and bank? was created by Joe Messinger
I was showing my 415-C to a friend.  He sat down inside the cockpit, looked around, and asked where the rudder pedals were.  After I explained the inter-locked system, he looked at the panel and asked why I had a turn and bank indicator since if your turn isn't coordinated, there isn't anything one can do to correct the situation without pedals.  All I could answer was, "It came with the airplane."  So, my question is, what is their use?  I've asked instructors, A&Ps, IAs, and other pilots.  Nobody has a good answer.  

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds