Breadcrumbs

Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?

More
25 Mar 2022 12:36 #1 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?
"FOR EXPERIMENTAL ONLY" instruments don't have approved model lists, as far as I have seen. We are just talking about flight instruments, not other appliances like transponders or ADS-B, those different animals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2022 15:35 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?
Anything you put in your panel beyond what ERCO put in it is supplemental and not required to be TSOd. Actually, even those original don’t have to be either, since the originals predated the TSO rules.
There was a time you could make an airplane experimental and do anything to it, but those days are long gone.

More
24 Mar 2022 15:35 #3 by Tim Cowden
Replied by Tim Cowden on topic Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?
Ronald,
Does your installed equipment include devices that do not explicitly have Ercoupe on the approved model list?
Tim

More
24 Mar 2022 15:28 #4 by Tim Cowden
Replied by Tim Cowden on topic Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?
Ronald,
Thanks a bunch for that input.  Maybe that is the best avenue for me.  Anyone else have thoughts?
Tim

More
24 Mar 2022 12:23 #5 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe?
This isn't really an answer to your question, but it might clarify things. Because the Ercoupe was certified before TSO was a thing, you can legally install any instrument you want as long as it performs to the same standards. My plane is full of "for experimental only" instruments and my IA is fine with it as long as I don't fly IFR. The trick is finding someone to sell you the instruments, they worry about liability issues. Maybe you just don't mention it.

More
23 Mar 2022 19:33 #6 by Tim Cowden
Possible to De-certify an Ercoupe? was created by Tim Cowden
As many of you know I've been refining my plan to replace my entire instrument panel with all new modern equipment.  Many thanks to all of you who have made suggestions, especially John Jones who has spent quite a bit of time on the phone with me.  I called Pacific Coast Avionics today to order about $12,000 worth of avionics.  I thought I could replace my entire 6-pack with a Uavionix AV-30C EFIS.  The helpful salesman pointed out that I can only replace the artificial horizon with eh AV-30, and that I would still need to keep the other flight instruments.  That blows my entire plan.  By the way, I don't even have an artificial horizon or a vacuum pump now.  A couple of weeks ago I was chatting it up with a guy at the airport and he said he knew a guy who had "de-certified" his airplane, not an Ercoupe, and therefore could put any avionics he wanted into his bird.  Is this possible?  Does anyone know anyone who's done this?  I don't see any advantage to keeping my airplane ceritied.  My plan is to trick out my bird with good avionics and fly it the next 25 years until I can't fly anymore, so I'm not really worried about market value down the road.  Any insights or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds