Breadcrumbs

Mixture control cable rigging

More
06 May 2024 17:18 #1 by John Reed
Replied by John Reed on topic Mixture control cable rigging
I repositioned the mixture control cable through the carb arm and also the cable mount attach arm near carb. That allowed the cable to hit both stops. Ran up the engine (without wings) Got a few looks when I went for a short taxi to test the brakes. Adjusted idle speed. Tried different ways to kill the engine. Found turning off the mags to be the most effective.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2024 20:52 #2 by John Reed
Is that the common way to kill the engine. I have read of various ways, including adding throttle as you cut the fuel so that less fuel goes into the cylinders and washes the oil away.

More
05 May 2024 20:33 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Mixture control cable rigging
Sounds like the problem is in the cable, either it just needs adjusting or maybe the cable mount is loose or wiggly so you lose some of the forward push. I seldom use my mixture as I don't ever get that high. It is kind of self regulating. Unlike other mixture controls that regulate fuel flow with a valve, the Stromberg regulates it by controlling the relative pressure in the float chamber through a series of passages that connect to the carburetor float.. A lower pressure results in less fuel flow. At idle, you won't see any effect. So, to kill the engine, either turn off the key or turn off the fuel.

More
05 May 2024 13:05 #4 by John Reed
Hi Ronald, I sure have been learning a lot about the Stromberg carb. I am reading that the Stromberg only really starts working at altitude of 5,000 feet or so and that there are various ways of killing the engine on the ground because leaning doesn't work on the ground like it does in a Marvel Shrebler ICO technique. Anyhow, when the cable is disconnected the mixture control arm goes to both stops. I'm thinking I need to get a new cable. or play around with the position of the current one on the arm. I even read that this type of carb can be safetied to full rich. I have been reading about the design of the Stromberg and that leaning is built into it without manual adjustment from the cockpit controls.

More
05 May 2024 11:28 #5 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Mixture control cable rigging
My stromberg goes to both stops. I have climbed to 10,000 ft and tested it and it does work. If the cable is disconnected, can you move the arm to both stops? If the cable is disconnected, do you have lots of movement in the cable? Those would be the first two things I would check.

More
04 May 2024 18:39 #6 by John Reed
Mixture control cable rigging was created by John Reed
Ercoupe 415-C with C85 engine with a stromberg carb.
I need some help with the rigging of the mixture control cable at the carburetor. I can't adjust the arm to get to the lean stop or the rich stop on the carb. It's either one or the other. Right now I adjusted the cable to hit the full lean stop, but there is a gap in the travel to the full rich stop. I hink the cable should move to both the full rich stop and the full lean stop on the carb. Can anyone help me out?  Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds