Breadcrumbs

Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off

More
01 May 2022 17:12 #1 by Dennis Lanier
Replied by Dennis Lanier on topic Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off
Randy
Thank you very much for sharing your story. I am new to the no rudder crosswind thing and it seams very different. The same thing just happened to me. I was so surprised that I added power and leveled the wings and pointed the nose down got on the brakes and all was good again. I am glade to know that someone else has had that happen. I called an Ercoupe owner that is close by to get some lessons in this wonderful plane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2022 14:48 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off
If the coupe is sitting level it should stay on the ground until you make it fly by pulling back on the yoke. The instructions say to apply a little forward pressure on the yoke and when you reach flying speed pull back “decisively” on the yoke so it can jump into the air and pivot into the wind.

More
18 Apr 2022 14:14 #3 by Randy Branson
Replied by Randy Branson on topic Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off
Thanks Larry! That is in fact what I did upon landing. Then taxied very slowly and carefully!

I need to see what is says about the wing taking off early on take off roll.

More
18 Apr 2022 13:27 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off
The Ercoupe instruction book says that if the upwind wing comes up you should step on the brake. I’ve done it and it works.

More
18 Apr 2022 12:44 #5 by Randy Branson
Crosswind Landing Roll Out/Take Off was created by Randy Branson
The old 3-axis pilot in me has got a perplexing problem that you long-time 2-axis guys can help me solve.

One of the truly wonderful things an Ercoupe (non-pedaled)  does very well is land in a "stiff" crosswind (and I mean stiff coming back from Sun-N- Fun).  I had the opportunity to experience 2 very stiff crosswinds the week before last.  My little "Ermelia" did exactly what she is renowned for...flew a straight final aligned with the centerline while pointing 30-45 degrees to the right of center; she touched down, snapped straight and then the fun began.  The right wing started flying again during roll-out and lifted the right MLG off.  Instinctively (1400 hours 3 axis, only 100 hours 2-axis) I turned the ailerons into the wind.  STOP THAT!!!  Well you know what happened, she and I headed towards the grass.  Only thing I could think of was yoke full forward and get on the binders.  

Here's where I have my inexperience (remember only 100 hours in a 'Coupe) hat in hand.  What is the best/proper/correct method to roll out after landing and make take off roll in "stiff crosswinds" when the upwind wing wants to take flight before the PIC does?  Okay, I'll take some jeering, but be nice...this is a family channel.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds