Breadcrumbs

Misleading Ercoupe for Sale Listings (Converted to D)

• Greg Harris
  • Greg Harris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
26 Jun 2023 22:08 #7 by Greg Harris
Works for me  .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2023 20:34 #8 by Ronald Raty
EIL = Ercoupe Information Letter issued by Univair.

I'm just thinking that the FAA is the definitive legal authority on the model of our airplanes. What ever their records say, that is what you got, regardless of everyone else's opinion. Peoples opinions are sometimes wrong. My 415C has been in the process of being converted to a "D" for over 50 years. Way back when, the A&P used the wrong trim tab when modifying it. So despite a 337 form saying it was converted, it didn't meet the requirements.

As I understand it, to finish the process I would have to install the correct trim tab, submit a new Application for Registration, and get a DAR to inspect the plane to ensure it met the requirements. I don't know if that is even possible today.

Of course, the plane flies the same either way.

• Greg Harris
  • Away
More
25 Jun 2023 23:07 #9 by Greg Harris
So even thought the weight and balance shows 1400 and the 337 was filed, your saying you think it’s not officially a D? But it still has a valid airworthiness even though not inspected. Of the 5 planes that I have see the files on, including my own, there is just the 337 and the STC in the file., and a W&B that’s shows 1,400 lbs. I didn’t see anything that says it has to be inspected by FAA. .

What is an EIL #1?

More
25 Jun 2023 22:04 #10 by Larry Snyder
Interesting. I’ve never considered the FAA records to be anywhere near an accurate source of information!

More
25 Jun 2023 21:45 #11 by Ronald Raty
The last paragraph of EIL #1 states that after all the modifications have been made per the type certificate, the plane has to be inspected by an FAA inspector. I'm assuming they file the paperwork to get the FAA registration changed. I would argue that if the FAA records show the plane as a C model, then the final step was never completed and the conversion process is still ongoing, regardless of what an A&P says in a 337 form.

• Greg Harris
  • Away
More
23 Jun 2023 10:59 #12 by Greg Harris
I made this mistake with my current plane. Didn't make sure there was no 337. And there was :(

The last guy just said he should pay me a consulting fee for doing the research. He had no idea!

Owners are not reading the docs and logs. Even after buying the plane.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds