Breadcrumbs

Carb leaking gas C85

More
24 Nov 2020 15:50 #1 by Thomas Ryan
Replied by Thomas Ryan on topic Carb leaking gas C85
We pulled the prop and carb, both sent in for an overhaul. When they come back the carb will have all new parts and the prop will be a 71/49. I think this will end the problem as my IA said there isn't anything else that would cause that low performance. So I agree with you, hopefully this should solve the poor performance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2020 06:28 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Carb leaking gas C85
That static is below the limit in the TCDS. If you are climbing at 200 FPM in 40° weather that airplane will be just plain dangerous in warm weather! You need to find the source of the problem. I have a C-85 with the O-200 crank STC and in 40° weather I can climb, fully loaded, at 500-600 FPM solo I can climb at 1000+ FPM. My prop is a 7149.

More
23 Nov 2020 04:26 #3 by Thomas Ryan
I think it's a Stromburg? I'll have to check it this morning as I have an IA coming out to look at it. It's odd, i only get 2100 on the run up, and 2300 in flight, it took 2300 feet of run way to get in in the air and it only climbed at 200 FPM on a no wind 40 degree day, and I got a lot of carb ice that day, it conditions were just right for ice and that C85 did ice up and quick, but the carb heat took care of it, several times! Anyway, the performance isn't there, and should be under those conditions, a cool day and no wind, it should have been better but a cruise prop makes me wonder, the Continental book says "don't fly if you can't get 2200 minimum on a static run?"

More
23 Nov 2020 04:20 #4 by Thomas Ryan
My nose take was taken out, the leak was noted right after it ran, I was checking to see why i couldn't get any more than 2100 RPM on the static run up and 2300 in flight at full gross, the performance was very poor, it didn't want to climb and took 2300 feet of runway to get into the air, and just barely! It has a cruise prop and with the lower RPM and maybe a carb problem, this maybe the cause, the crash in Arizona when the ercoupe ran into that building has me wondering about take off failure due to poor a poor climb rate if there are issues with the carb. I think I should have got at least 2500 on the static run, do you get that?

More
23 Nov 2020 04:08 #5 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Carb leaking gas C85
does it leak overnight with the gas turned off? Mine does if I forget to turn off the gas, it will empty the header tanks if left for a week or so. and so I must remember to turn off gas when not running. I keep a clean piece of cardboard under my engine to spot gas or oil leaks. My friends think I most likely need a new float needle on the carb, the needle seat gets hard or a fine grooves forms in the little rubber float needle seat. A job for the annual in the spring. Mine sat in a hangar for 4 years before I bought it. Gentleman had passed away.
Just my best guess.

More
22 Nov 2020 21:32 #6 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Carb leaking gas C85
Everyone will want to know what kind of carburetor?

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds