Breadcrumbs

Pros/cons of painted vs polished aluminum?

• Lawson Laslo
07 Sep 2019 09:34 #1 by Lawson Laslo
Replied by Lawson Laslo on topic Pros/cons of painted vs polished aluminum?
Sorry should had mentioned it was a old airplane rudder that I was making a table out of

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2019 23:42 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Pros/cons of painted vs polished aluminum?

Lawson Laslo wrote: I have a polished aircraft, takes a couple of days to polish but looks great, I use NUVITE C&S well worth it,
i wouldn't recommend stripping paint, ive tried in on an old aircraft wing and took forever, ended up using a wire brush on a drill

I hope you really did not use a wire brush on a drill, using any wire brush other than brass is asking for trouble as you can embed steel into the aluminum and give it a place for corrosion to start. fine Scotch brite pads are good to use.
As far as chemical strippers, most these day are wimps compared to what used to be on the market, one way to help them to do a better job is to do 2 things. 1st apply the stripper going in one direction only, either up and down, or side to side, but not both, the other is, once you have a area covered, wrap it in plastic and leave it for a hour or more.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
04 Sep 2019 10:52 #3 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Pros/cons of painted vs polished aluminum?
Stripping paint can be hard, depending on the paint and primer used. I used a chemical stripper on the painted portions of my plane (use lots of rinse water, stripper is caustic). Some paint came off easily, some was really stubborn, especially if an etching primer was used. I wouldn't want to strip an entire plane.
Now that I have a polished plane, the effort required depends on your goals. If you want a mirror finish show plane, plan on a day of polishing several times a year. We do a quick polish and wax every Spring (mostly visible top sides), and that serves our purposes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Hamler

• Lawson Laslo
04 Sep 2019 08:40 #4 by Lawson Laslo
Let me know if you get a polished one and i can give you some pointers on polishes and buffers to use

• Lawson Laslo
04 Sep 2019 08:35 #5 by Lawson Laslo
I have a polished aircraft, takes a couple of days to polish but looks great, I use NUVITE C&S well worth it,
i wouldn't recommend stripping paint, ive tried in on an old aircraft wing and took forever, ended up using a wire brush on a drill

More
03 Sep 2019 09:27 #6 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Pros/cons of painted vs polished aluminum?
Polished takes more "elbow grease", paint adds weight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kevin Hamler

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds