Breadcrumbs

When to Use Carb Heat

More
11 Feb 2024 12:26 #1 by Keith Whitcomb
Replied by Keith Whitcomb on topic When to Use Carb Heat
Sorry I should have been more specific about my engine. I have a 65 Aircoupe with the C-90-16F engine.

I reread both TCDS‘s for the correct data before attaching the photo. Neither TCDS had that info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2024 08:43 #2 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic When to Use Carb Heat
I thought the C75 had a redline of 2275 and the C85 had a redline of 2575. This tach has the redline at 2475. Which engine is that for?

More
10 Feb 2024 20:59 #3 by Keith Whitcomb

the bottom of my green arc is 1900 RPM 
Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2024 19:32 #4 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic When to Use Carb Heat
My tac only indicates the maximum RPM, not a minimum. Where is the bottom of the green arc?

More
10 Feb 2024 19:14 #5 by Tim Cowden
Replied by Tim Cowden on topic When to Use Carb Heat
Thanks Keith, that is real helpful.
Tim

More
10 Feb 2024 05:42 #6 by Keith Whitcomb
I have never flown a general aviation aircraft without carb heat. As a matter of ‘how do I do that’. I pull carb heat whenever I reduce power below the green arc, and put i arb heat in when applying power above the bottom of the green arc on the tachometer.

As far as carb heat goes. Remember that you switch from ambient filtered air, to unfiltered heated air, when you pull carb heat.

Carburetor ice forms when the air passing through the carburetor venturi mixes with vaporized fuel causing a large temperature drop within the carburetor. The moisture in the air can form ice, restricting the air and fuel flow to the engine and resulting in a partial or total loss of engine power

When I install carb ice detection here shortly. I will pull carb heat only when the carb temperature drops below 40’F.

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds