Breadcrumbs

30 Gallon Stc

• Jack Arthur
04 Feb 2019 08:06 #1 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic 30 Gallon Stc
Good morning all, if you need your header tank repaired I will do for it for $800.00. That includes taking it all apart cleaning and resealing and re riveting it back together.
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Michael Hensley
  • Topic Author
01 Feb 2019 18:34 #2 by Michael Hensley
Replied by Michael Hensley on topic 30 Gallon Stc
Thank you for the information. I've repaired primer line leaks in the past and I have gotten into the habit of inspecting it and the tank connections before each flight since they're not too hard, (if your double jointed LOL) to see. Still considering the 30 gallon option though.

More
01 Feb 2019 17:52 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 30 Gallon Stc
Believe you me, I've had my share of unpleasant experiences with the header tank! Can you believe TWO R&Rs in 14 years? I wish there were a state of the art replacement for that tank. BTW, the tank isn't over the engine, it's over your legs! I had a leaky connection on the primer line off the fixture under the header and fuel was dripping on my leg. Not a happy thing. The one good thing, is that you know right away when there is a leak, because you can smell it. But I've seen the header tank removed (illegally) and that was followed by several off-airport landings. It was, basically, the 30-gallon setup with 18 gallons. The owner ended up paying a lot of money to put it back to stock, since there were no 15-gallon tanks to be had, plus they were kind of fed up with the engine problems. I think it has been a long time since those big tanks were made. You have to remove the leading edge ribs, I can't remember how many. You should ask Syd Cohen about a bladder liner, I think he did that for some tank(s) on his 415-D. Of course, that does not open up the space behind the panel.

• Robert Williams
01 Feb 2019 17:15 #4 by Robert Williams
Replied by Robert Williams on topic 30 Gallon Stc
Thank you Larry! I understand that it would need to be done right, which is why I would like to get a look at the “plumbing diagram”.

The safety features of the header tank (gravity fed, no vapor lock potential, easy to see when you’ve dipped into reserve, etc) is offset by the risk of fire in a crash—which has happened more than once in Ercoupes. 6 gallons of gas right above the engine can cause that.

I’d love to have a crashworthy fuel cell for the header tank, but that isn’t feasible...and my header tank is out of the bird now because it is leaking...

As far as I know, no DA20s or 40s have burned up in a post crash fire.

My bird also has the Marvel carb instead of the Stromberg. Me and my AP are just considering options before commiting another $1300 or so for a fuel tank rebuild/reinstall.

Just looking at all the options. Thanks again!

More
01 Feb 2019 16:27 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic 30 Gallon Stc
By removing the header you are removing one of the coupe’s great safety features. Make sure it’s done right - I’ve heard of coupes losing their engine power because of an incorrect pump or incorrect carb jetting. The wings have to be heavily modified. I would think nowadays that mod would cost a fortune. Maybe you can find a plane that already has it and has accumulated some hours so you know it’s done right.

• Robert Williams
01 Feb 2019 15:55 #6 by Robert Williams
Replied by Robert Williams on topic 30 Gallon Stc
Would you mind if I contacted you regarding this mod? I would like to remove the header tank to open up room behind the panel and increase the “fire safety”...

I’d be content with keeping just 18 gallons in the wing tanks for what I do...

Thanks,
Rob

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds