Breadcrumbs

Fuel tanks

More
02 Jul 2020 13:34 #1 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Fuel tanks
you beat me to it, yes, very low pressure.
Another way to find the leak is to use put a gallon of avgas in the tank, spray Dye check developer, which is a fine white powder in a water carrier, where you think the leak is. you can rotate the tank to get fuel over all the seams if you are not sure where it is leaking. The dye in the avgas will make the leak really stand out.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2020 11:01 #2 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Fuel tanks
I have done this to check my tanks for leaks (and to push out a dent where someone had stepped on the wing tank), and it works great. But a word of caution, don't over pressurize. Mouth pressure is plenty. I used a toy balloon to maintain the pressure while checking for leaks.

More
01 Jul 2020 21:45 - 01 Jul 2020 21:46 #3 by John Jones
Replied by John Jones on topic Fuel tanks
Once you find the leaking area, depending on where it is, you could use the JB-Weld (or Marine-Tex, white vs. grey), Pro-Seal, or a pre-fab patch like www.clickbond.com/products/click-patch
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 21:46 by John Jones.

More
01 Jul 2020 21:08 #4 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Fuel tanks
Ok, even easier and simpler, get spray bottle with water and a few teaspoons of dish soap, pressurize tank lightly, where you see the bubbles when you spray the seams is where your leak is. Dry site and apply JB-Weld over leak. 34 years chasing leaks on LNG tankers you learn dome easy tricks, a SNOOP TEST

More
01 Jul 2020 20:41 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel tanks
I would never recommend sloshing a fuel tank. Too many times pieces have come off and turned the airplane into a glider. Even if it’s great stuff that will last a long time, have pity on that future owner (or maybe even yourself)!

More
01 Jul 2020 17:52 #6 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Fuel tanks
Talk to some RV builders , they build wet wings and use a material to seal their tanks. If you can pull the tank that makes it easier to spin and rotate the tank and cover all the interior surfaces.
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sells a product to seal old tanks.
www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/g...ntent=All%20Products

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds