Breadcrumbs

mixture adjustment

• Gale York
  • Topic Author
04 Jan 2020 11:50 #1 by Gale York
Replied by Gale York on topic mixture adjustment
Matt, you hit a grand slam home Run in the Dec 2016 article.
Just what I was looking for. The article does a fine job of explaining how the carb works. Thanks a million. I’ll bet a number of Couper’s didn’t realize all this....

Again, thank you...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2020 10:57 #2 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic mixture adjustment
I do have a mixture control, but I did not use it, and the engine never acted like it needed to be leaned. I had just bought the plane and was on my way to Phx and was and still am learning it's quirks, There have been several articles on the Stromberg carbs, and it does vary fuel ratio based on air pressure in the fuel bowl,
Check the Aug 2019 Coupe Capers and Dec 2016

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook
Attachments:

• Gale York
  • Topic Author
03 Jan 2020 22:31 #3 by Gale York
Replied by Gale York on topic mixture adjustment
Matt, I did read the article by Bob. Do you mean to say that you took off and went to 12.5’ and never leaned or what? Do you have the ability to adjust mixture in flight, or does the Stromberg compensate by design? Sorry, but I didn’t understand your message. The mixture control cost $27.00, so I know the builders didn’t leave it off due to cost; so why is the mixture not hooked up? That baffles me.
I think being able to lean would certainly be desirable and useful power wise. Could you be a bit more detailed to help me understand. Thanks...

More
03 Jan 2020 21:09 #4 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic mixture adjustment
The Stromberg is a good carb, and it does have a mixture control, there was a recent article in Coupe Capers. I have flown my coupe to 12.5 without touching the mixture control, and it ran fine.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

More
03 Jan 2020 16:56 #5 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic mixture adjustment
You want it! You can get the cable from Vernon Gregory or Univair. BTW - I just heard your phone message from long ago! I think we’ve discussed this already. Email me if you need something from me.

• Gale York
  • Topic Author
03 Jan 2020 16:49 #6 by Gale York
mixture adjustment was created by Gale York
I've only flown planes with fuel mixture control, and now I discover my 'new' Forney C-90 has none.
I'm a bit confused about this. I've learned a bit about the role fuel makes for cooling, plug and engine
life as well as power produced. I've also dug into the Stromberg and Marvel-Schrebler carbs. My plane has the Strom NAS3A1 that has sudo "mixture", but no pilot control. Should I be concerned with this and get it hooked up so I can better operate the engine? There has to be a good reason these engines just didn't bother to offer the control. I would appreciate some expert opinion about getting mixture control. Also, my A & P said that a Marvel-Schrebler with real fuel mixture control is also do-able. Thoughts? Pros and cons appreciated.....

p.s. I do want to have 5000'-10,000' available...

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds