Breadcrumbs

Header tank overfills in flight

• Jack Arthur
18 Mar 2019 08:07 #1 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic Header tank overfills in flight
First thing to check make sure that the fuel pump has the restrictor installed or the fuel pump pumps to much fuel for it to drain.
Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2019 09:39 #2 by Lynn Nelsen AP/IA
Replied by Lynn Nelsen AP/IA on topic Header tank overfills in flight
Hey Jim: First, I would check to ensure that you havea restrictor in the out line of the fuel pump. (the hole is just smaller than a #50 drill bit) If this is not in the fitting, it will pump too much fuel to the header tank. If you have that restrictor, then the pump is limited to about 8 gal per hr. at full throttle. Depending onthe serial number of your airplane, you may have one or two lines returning fuel to you wing tanks from the header. I would not attempt to clean them, but just remove and replace. If you have the three lines into/out of the fitting on the bottom of the tank, Then you will need to remove the fuel from the heaer tank in order to remove & replace the lines. (sealing can be a problem)
Lynn

More
11 Mar 2019 22:35 #3 by Jim Goodrich
Header tank overfills in flight was created by Jim Goodrich
My '46 Ercoupe 415-C, sat unflown for nearly 40 years...no such thing as a cheap airplane! I learn ALL my lessons the hard way it seems! The problem is that (after installing new fuel pump) the header tank now fills faster than it returns to the wings and overflows in front of the windscreen at the tank filler port, sending fuel/fuel vapors into the cockpit! Obviously, this is a MAJOR concern. I'm guessing the return lines to the wing tanks are partially constricted/clogged. Has anyone had or known of this problem??? Any suggested solutions???

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds