Breadcrumbs

Buying an Ercoupe

More
09 Jun 2020 18:49 #1 by Michael Hainen
Replied by Michael Hainen on topic Buying an Ercoupe
Hi, just got mine last month and then this one popped up on Craigslist.org a few weeks ago about an hour north of Grand Rapids Michigan..

grandrapids.craigslist.org/avo/d/big-rap...415c/7126596291.html

Rustypilot Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Phil Work
  • Topic Author
09 Jun 2020 11:25 #2 by Phil Work
Replied by Phil Work on topic Buying an Ercoupe
Thanks, Larry. I am reasonably confident the spar and ailerons are good, as the annuals have continued and the ADs complied with. I agree that engine may be another story, but plan to have a good pre-buy done to include borescoping.

More
09 Jun 2020 10:54 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Buying an Ercoupe
Depends on price, condition, and what you're willing to deal with. If the center spar is good, then turn your attention to the engine. Having sat unused for all those years, there is a possibility that corrosion has set in. While it may run great and have good compression, you don't don't what the cam lobes look like or the lifters. If a reliable mechanic can get a scope in there and attest to their health, then it's worth considering. The big issue nowadays is that a rebuild costs as much or more than the airplane is worth! Ideally you should change the oil, fly it for 30 hours, then have it looked at and an oil analysis done. Hard to do when you're looking at someone else's airplane! But if you can satisfy yourself that the engine and center spar are healthy, everything else is pretty manageable.

• Phil Work
  • Topic Author
08 Jun 2020 21:05 #4 by Phil Work
Buying an Ercoupe was created by Phil Work
Hi All,
Phil Work here, brand new member, and looking for an Ercoupe. I have my eye on one in So. Carolina. It has been part of a collection, owner passed away, estate is selling. I has been hangared and well-maintained while in the collection. Appears not to have flown from early 2013 until early this year, not run at all from 2015 until early 2020. Has flown some this year, but I have not seen plane or latest logs yet. 415E, C-85-12F, all AD's kept up, compressions good.
I am armed with the pre-buy inspection guide from this site, and there are several mechs at the airport familiar with the Ercoupe.
What do you all think of a plane like this?

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds