Breadcrumbs

Is a CFI needed for check ride?

More
12 Sep 2017 15:34 #1 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
I'm assuming you mean BFR? Legally, if you have a certificate, all you need is a BFR signoff by a CFI. The one gotcha might be insurance - some policies require that the PIC have so many hours of time in type.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arlan Allen
27 Aug 2017 09:42 #2 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
Don,
Welcome to the Ercoupe! I am sure you will enjoy this great little airplane.

The advice to check with your insurance is good advice. Since you hold at least a Private Pilot Airmen Certificate. Legally all you need to do is comply with 14 CFR 61.56 and 61.57 to perform the cuties of PIC. The common sense approach is to fly with a pilot who has experience in the Ercoupe. Which you have done or are doing. Beware, many pilots have developed bad habits which they in turn pass on as correct. Do your research.

Once again back to aviation and to the Ercoupe.

Arlan
N3989H
SN4690

• Joey Shreve
21 Aug 2017 10:35 #3 by Joey Shreve
Replied by Joey Shreve on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
I would just ask the insurance agent. Mine specifically mentioned 1 hour with a CFI, didn't mention Ercoupe experience, but my CFI did have several hours of Ercoupe time. Of course this could have been a requirement due to my limited hours.

• Don Etchison
  • Topic Author
21 Aug 2017 10:32 #4 by Don Etchison
Replied by Don Etchison on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
Thank you Joey. The plane has no rudders and current owner has already demoed the plane to me and I have flown it and landed and understand the mush stall and crosswind landing etc. Will spend a few more hours with him in the pane until I am totally comfortable with it. The two insurance companies I am in contact with haven't referenced the requirement for the CFI . One insurance company that advertises on this site is Avemco and they did not reference this requirement, but perhaps its in the fine print that I haven't seen yet. So far, no one has referred any FAA requirement for the need of a ride with a CFI with Ercoupe experience.

• Joey Shreve
21 Aug 2017 08:44 #5 by Joey Shreve
Replied by Joey Shreve on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
Low time Sport pilot, I needed 1 hour with a CFI for insurance in an Ercoupe. As far as a checkride of sorts I would recommend it due to how the Ercoupe flys and lands Depending on if yours has rudder pedals or not will effect how it is flown and landed. The slow mush when it "Stalls" is worth training with someone who understands it.

• fred egge
20 Aug 2017 21:40 - 20 Aug 2017 21:44 #6 by fred egge
Replied by fred egge on topic Is a CFI needed for check ride?
Just purchased an 415c and am a current pilot with around 100hrs in my bonanza this year alone and the only reason I have found that a check out with a CFI is required was due to insurance requirement and from what I understand my CFI needs to be current with the Ercoupe in order to sign me off for this.....s

Dont know if this helps, but it is what I have found out in my situation.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2017 21:44 by fred egge.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds