Breadcrumbs

× This is the optional category header for the Suggestion Box.

Transporting a Ercoupe by trailer

More
02 Dec 2023 23:19 - 02 Dec 2023 23:28 #1 by Warren Hampton
Replied by Warren Hampton on topic Transporting a Ercoupe by trailer
1) 3800H Shelby MT. to Colo Spgs, Co., 2 ) 3044H Colo Spgs to Columbus. OH, 3) 3800H Colo Spgs, CO to San Diego, Ca.4) numerus other short haul around Southern Cali. at least 6 99134 and 99371 were 2 of them I can think of. 5) 94760 San Diago to Reno 6) 5624F East Bay Up by San Fran to San Diago . My brother took her to S.E. Ohio to work on her. She came back to Reno with 3yrs ago. Last year 744WH came back with me from his place. All those miles I only had one flat! Not many can say they have pulled more Coupes more miles than I except Vern...Gee just came to me 1 from southern Washington state to San Diago, I was going to have a used parts west sales, but life had other ideas.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2023 23:28 by Warren Hampton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2023 22:41 #2 by Warren Hampton
Last fall I used my single axel trailer to bring back from S.E Ohio to Reno Nv a C with two sets of wings under it. With no problems. So, there is no need of 4 tires on the Ground. Remember a Coupe is only +/- a 1000 lbs.. That Coupe homemade trailer is OK if you have a pickup with a pipe rack on it for the wings. I have always used a come along to pull a Coupe on and let it off my trailers. Loading from the front mean contending w/ motor weight.

More
02 Dec 2023 02:36 #3 by Martin Gibbs
Replied by Martin Gibbs on topic Transporting a Ercoupe by trailer
Hi Frank
There are some good pictures and advice on trailering Ercoupe's on the ercoupe repair pages.
www.ercoupe.info

More
02 Dec 2023 01:56 - 02 Dec 2023 01:57 #4 by Warren Hampton
Frank, I had not seen Matt reply. But what I said confirms what Matt said...
Last edit: 02 Dec 2023 01:57 by Warren Hampton. Reason: spelling

More
02 Dec 2023 01:52 #5 by Warren Hampton
Frank, a car trailer usually is a poor choice to use. A 16-foot flat bed works much better. Remember that the wheelbase on a coupe is about 8 ft. The first coupe I trailered I use a car trailer with opened wheel and it was a bitch getting the Coupe on it. it had two-wheel rails and open between them. no good place to lay the wings. So please think about what you are going to be doing and then work out the details. Also You can remove the lower part o the landing gear and switch them to close the wheelbase but that too has it's problems. I have also used a channel iron across a flat bed with 1 axel

More
24 Nov 2023 00:01 #6 by Matt Gunsch
Replied by Matt Gunsch on topic Transporting a Ercoupe by trailer
one problem with a car trailer is the gear span on the Coupe is wider than the cars, and they will not usually fit. One trick that helps is to swap the lower legs so the wheels face inward instead of outward.

A&P, IA, PPSEL
too many years GA and Warbird Maint
Check out the Ercoupe Discussion group on facebook

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds