Breadcrumbs

Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport

• Arlan Allen
30 Jul 2018 18:34 #1 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport
James,

The Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) is the certificate issued by the approving Authority. In the case if the Ercoupe 415C & CD the ACA was the approving Authority. The number A-718 is the identifying number for the ercoupe certification approved. The TDCS contains all the information on the aircraft ie Weight and Balance information control rigging required instruments, approved engines, propellers, AirSpeed limitations and everything it takes to meet the airworthiness standard of the original airplane. Each airframe, engine and propeller has a TCDS.

Take a few minutes and read your TCDS A-718. I think you will find it interesting.

Arlan
N3989H
415CD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2018 19:54 #2 by James Stevens
Replied by James Stevens on topic Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport
Afraid I don't understand everything you just said, but appreciate the confirmation on the hp & engine type. A-718 and TCDS? Must be A&P talk. I am just a stupid sport pilot. who wants to learn more about his machine. :-)

More
13 Jul 2018 12:13 #3 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport
Horsepower is not in the formula for light sport eligibility, but performance is. If an airplane is certificated with the performance numbers within the specification spelled out in the FARs, then it is light sport compliant, regardless of any other configuration not explicitly mentioned in the FARs for aircraft eligible to be flown by a light sport pilot. Since the numbers on A-718 all fall within the definition, any Ercoupe flying under that TCDS may be flown by a light sport pilot. If you install an O-200 by field approval, that's just fine.

More
13 Jul 2018 09:50 #4 by Ronald Raty
Replied by Ronald Raty on topic Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport
Per Wikipedia, the rules are:
Max. Gross Takeoff Weight: 1,320 lbs (600 kg) or 1,430 lbs for seaplanes (650 kg)
Max. Stall Speed: 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
Max. Speed in Level Flight (at sea level In the US Standard Atmosphere):138 mph / 120 knots CAS
Max. Seats: Two
Max. Engines / Motors: One (if powered)
Propeller: Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
Cabin: Unpressurized
Fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
Landing Gear: Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders).

I see no mention of HP, although I suppose a huge engine could affect max speed. Not an issue in an 415C since the max certificated airspeed is 120 mph

More
13 Jul 2018 09:33 #5 by James Stevens
Engines, Horsepower & Light Sport was created by James Stevens
I own a 415C with the C-85 engine which I fly in the Light Sport category. Information (and mis-information) about what allows the Ercoupe 415 C (and CD) models to be flown as light sport aircraft abounds in the GA community. I know that anything you do to increase the gross weight beyond 1320 lbs takes it out of the LSA category. (Some have done that by converting their 'Coupes to "D" models.). My question relates simply to engine types and horsepower. I have heard that replacing the C-75 or C-85 with an O-200 Continental negates the LS rating. Some say "stroking" the C-85 with the O-200 crank (to give it 90 HP) also takes it out of light sport. Anyone out there have an official reading on any of this? I can't see how increase in horsepower would affect the LS rating as long as the airframe design is not changed to allow it to exceed the 120 knot LS limitation. With standard the wing design of the "Coupe, I really don't believe you could ever exceed 120 MPH unless you put a rocket motor on it!

I have no plans to do any of this to my plane, but I like to know as much about the subject as possible when talking to other pilots.

thanks,
James

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds