Breadcrumbs

Fuel tank repair

More
13 May 2019 06:22 #1 by Kevin Gassert
Replied by Kevin Gassert on topic Fuel tank repair
Everyone moans that the sloshing sealer is an “improper” repair when in fact at one time it was an acceptable repair. At this time it is not recommended. Safe Skies Aviation who were the past owners of Sky Port has been disassembly and repairing the tanks for about 10 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jack Arthur
03 May 2019 14:08 #2 by Jack Arthur
Replied by Jack Arthur on topic Fuel tank repair
Call me at 515-778-8833 and I can help you out with your tanks.

Jack

More
03 May 2019 12:53 #3 by Super User
Replied by Super User on topic Fuel tank repair
Contact Jack Arthur at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan Limesand

More
03 May 2019 12:52 #4 by Larry Snyder
Replied by Larry Snyder on topic Fuel tank repair
Unfortunately, you aren't the first to have this experience. You're lucky it was discovered on the ground - not because of a clogged carburetor in the air!

You do NOT want to reseal the tank! These tanks were NOT designed to be sealed - except at the seams when riveted together. You need to contact Jack Arthur in Iowa, he is setting up a business rebuilding Ercoupe fuel tanks. To do it right, all rivets must be drilled out, all the parts cleaned and checked, then it's all reassembled with sealer in the joints. I don't have the information handy, but Jack has an article and an ad in the May Coupe Capers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ryan Limesand

• Ryan Limesand
  • Topic Author
03 May 2019 12:47 #5 by Ryan Limesand
Fuel tank repair was created by Ryan Limesand
I recently bought a 415-D and when filling it with fuel the first time noticed white colored pieces of sealant floating around in the tank. My local A/P diagnosed the problem to be an improper tank sealer used at some point, and now it is flaking off. We removed the tanks and the A/P was going to remove one end off each tank, then remove and replace the remaining bad sealant. He called me today to say that a special tool is needed to remove the tank end, which he doesn't have, and suggested sending the tanks to a specialty shop to repair the tanks. His concern was ruining the tanks if he tried to drill out the rivets to separate the tanks.
Has anyone ever had a situation like this.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds