Breadcrumbs

M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab

More
11 Jan 2019 06:28 #1 by Mike Then
Replied by Mike Then on topic M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab
I wound up using four 40 pound bags to do the trick. I have a pellet stove, so I just used those bags. Two per horiz stab side, centered over a horz stab rib by the fuselage stacked upon each other. When I added the third bag, it rotated...but barely. The total weight of 160 is probably overkill, but certainly kept the nose up for maintenance. No harm done to stab. By the way, I wound up not rebuilding the nose...still some wear left. Needed regardless for greasing the nose bearings.

Thanks all....

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Arlan Allen
31 Oct 2018 14:55 #2 by Arlan Allen
Replied by Arlan Allen on topic M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab
I don't have an M10. You might consider a propeller jack. If you have the lift ring attached to your engine case, you might remove the cowling and use a hoist.

20 lb on each horizontal stabilizer won't take any weight off the nose. I would imagine 120 + pounds to hold the tail down secure enough to work on the nose gear.

Arlan
N3989H

More
23 Oct 2018 07:56 #3 by Mike Then
Replied by Mike Then on topic M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab
Thanks Gordie. Appreciate the confirmation!

Mike

More
22 Oct 2018 21:23 #4 by Gordie Meade
Replied by Gordie Meade on topic M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab

Here's how we did it.
Gordie
Attachments:

More
22 Oct 2018 07:56 #5 by Mike Then
M10 Nosegear - weight on horiz stab was created by Mike Then
M10 specific question. Getting ready to rebuild my m10 nosegear during annual. The service manual says to attach weight to the rear tie down to keep the nose raised/remove the nosegear. This seems very stressful. For all other models, it is common to just put some weight on the horiz stab carefully. The m10 horz stab is different, but I would think no issue to do the same....just say 20 lbs on each side over the horiz stab spar.

Just thought I would ask if you have rebuilt the m10 nosegrear, if your mechanic just put weight on the horz stab. I do not like the idea of the weight all on the tiedown!

Mike

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds